27 July 2016

The Arbitrary Risk

I am always wary of arbitrary attempts to catagorise people.  When I worked primarily as a youth pastor I grew weary of hearing the phrase "at-risk youth" which was often used to heighten awareness of need.  This arbitrary term was employed most often to describe unchurched youth raised in a single-parent home.  Statistics were shared to prove how this combination led to many social problems, incarceration, drug and alcohol addictions, teen pregnancy, and violence.  How can you argue with statistics, right?

Since we all have our lenses through which we view the world, I am aware of another group of people which are equally "at risk" because I have experienced and seen it firsthand myself:  those who have been raised in relative comfort with two parents, who grew up attending church, and grew dull and spiritually proud through knowledge.  Seemingly inoculated to the power of the Gospel by much exposure without true repentance, these "churched" kids often grow up to lead lives which rival that of any heathen.  What does it mean, to be a youth "at risk?"  Aren't all young people exposed and susceptible to dangers of all kinds, whether it is pride, lying, hypocrisy, self-righteousness, youthful lusts, fornication, deceit of this world, and greed for riches?  There is a risk which comes from ignorance, and another risk from self-confidence and pride.  There are great needs all around us.

I suppose the reason why this terminology and focus bothers me is the implication particular groups of kids should be more of a priority in ministry than others.  The way it sounds to me is we don't need to worry about the kids already going to church, but those outside the church we need to labour to reach at any cost.  Now I believe we ought to do what we can to sow the good seed of God's Word and be faithful to water wherever God has us, but not to the neglect of one group over another.  I think we miss out when we begin to categorise groups of people instead of seeing individuals with needs and seeking to minister to them as God leads.  Jesus went to the lost sheep of Israel, but He was deeply concerned with individuals.  He addressed crowds but also conversed with people one-to-one.  His did not adopt strategies which translated people into numbers but souls which were hungry, thirsty, and lost.

We cannot solve a single problem of this world  or in the life of another person ourselves, but as Christians we know a Saviour who is able to do everything.  Life brings with it inherent risk for all people, for we live in corrupted flesh in a world under the sway of Satan.  We run the risk in Christian circles of measuring our efforts by worldly and superficial means.  Should I congratulate myself for addressing a million people with the Gospel when I am a dad who is largely absent from the life of my kids?  Is it a divine badge of approval should God use me to lead thousands to profess Christ as Saviour when I place my marriage at risk through sin?  Is it right to exclusively target men, women, youth, or children as a arbitrary ministry strategy based upon statistics and overlook the single person God brings across my path?  How we need to be attentive and led by the Holy Spirit in our ministry.  In spreading the Gospel Jesus did not promote a niche ministry but ministered to all whether they were disciples, family, foreigners, children, groups, and individuals according to the leading of the Spirit at the time.  May His Body today do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)