22 November 2016

The Benefit of Forgetting

If there is a benefit of forgetting, it is the goodness of God's reminders.  When I feel like I do not need reminders, I do not appreciate them.  I have been guilty in the past of a sigh or an eye-roll after a well-intended reminder of something not yet forgotten.  But we all forget, don't we?  Instead of being annoyed when I am reminded, I aim to be thankful in the future.

Today I experienced a good example of the benefit of forgetting.  I had coordinated the installation of a dedicated circuit with an electrician at church.  His card reader wasn't working properly, so he left an invoice with the bank details of the company.  Soon after I began to wrap up a little plumbing project and completely forgot about the invoice I had agreed to pay later in the day.  As I locked up the building, I noticed my watch was missing.  Ah yes, I had removed the watch to finish connecting braided flex lines.  I walked back into the building to see my watch AND the outstanding invoice laying on the bench.  I was grateful to God I had forgotten to put on my watch, otherwise I would have forgotten about the invoice and driven home - and consequently added an extra trip to and from church.

How thankful I was for the reminder!  We all need reminders of God's love and promises to us, and these often come through the Bible and people.  Just today I received a sweet note someone had remembered me, and it was very special.  To be reminded a person loves you is a priceless gift.  Scripture is full of reminders.  Joshua was overwhelmed at the prospect of leading God's people into the land of promise, and God reminded him during a single conversation in Joshua 1:9, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."  You may have forgotten many things God has said or done for you, but as an obedient child of God today remember this:  be strong and of good courage, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go!

We forget, but God never forgets us.  He never forgets what He has promised.  He is forever faithful and let us bring Him into remembrance.  Many times in scripture people who trusted God prayerfully reminded Him of what He had said and God heard them gladly.  Admitting I forget makes me appreciate reminders more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)