19 May 2017

Comfort for Souls

I have had the privilege of witnessing the last days of many loved ones depart this world.  From those experiences memories are tucked away, carefully chronicled without effort.  It is strange the things I remember vividly, the small details which likely go unnoticed.  I remember how my granddad looked as he lay in his bed in a coma.  I remember an uncle in his living room in hospital bed, being given a sip of beer.  I can still see the tears in the eyes of my grandma when my dad and I visited her and I told her I loved and appreciated her.  People approach the end of their lives differently.  I have realised everyone must face death all by themselves, even when surrounded by those who love them.

In times of grief and sadness, superficial things fade away.  In an instant we are given clarity about what really matters.  I remember going into my aunt's home to visit her before she passed.  Her health had been poor for some time and it was a treasure to spend some quiet moments with her.  As she began to drift out of consciousness, her favourite show was switched on.  She paid it no mind.  A priest came to give her holy communion, yet she was already at rest.  As her life ebbed away our family sang songs and rejoiced in her Saviour, Jesus Christ.  It was a bittersweet moment to see our loved one finally head home to the One who loved her first and always and would never leave or forsake her.

When I reflect on that day it is a strange verse which comes to mind.  I can only think of 1 Kings 19:11-12 when Elijah met with the LORD:  "Then He said, "Go out, and stand on the mountain before the LORD." And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; 12  and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice."  Because God is mighty and powerful one might expect Him tear rocks with wind or shake the earth with an earthquake, but He was not found in either.  Perhaps He would reveal Himself as He did on Sinai, with fire.  No, God was not in the fire.  Elijah recognised God by "a still, small voice."

Only God brings the comfort people long for.  They may seek it in painkillers or beer, in entertainment or religious rites.  We may desire to spend our final moments in a familiar place among people we love.  But comfort for the soul is not found in any of these things.  Nothing in this world can provide forgiveness for our sin or wash away our guilt.  It is only through faith in Christ we find rest for our souls.  God continues to speak in a still, small voice which comforts our hearts whether our lives are towards the beginning or at the very end.  I am grateful to know and trust the God who brings comfort in the midst of fiery trials, earthquakes, terminal illness, and even death.  Even when we feel all alone we who trust Christ are not alone, for the LORD speaks to us.  We never need face death by ourselves, for Christ has already faced it and overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)