27 June 2017

Same Same, but Different

During my travels to Cambodia over the years I have heard the phrase "Same same but different" repeated many times.  It is used so widely and frequently by some people the meaning can become a a bit hazy!  I have seen the t-shirts in shops, but have not bought one.  A native English speaker might say of an item, "It is the same tool but a different brand."  "Same same but different" takes on a new meaning entirely when you see vendors in the Russian Market repackaging knock-off items in plastic to look like the real thing.  There are brand-name sunglasses, electronics, and clothing sold cheaply in many shops because they are not genuine.  I don't know about you, but if I am going to spend money on a product I want it to be the real thing.  I want the logo to match the genuine product and the protective plastic sealed by the manufacturer, not by a vendor in a shadowy kiosk.

When it comes to following Jesus, an authentic correlation between our beliefs and deeds is more important than if those Beats headphones you paid $30 for are the real deal.  We Christians ought to be "same same," genuinely practising what we preach.  There are many sides to all of us as multifaceted human beings, but we should be the same person in every setting.  I went to watch a game of rugby with friends the other day and one person remarked upon seeing my enthusiastic engagement, "Wow, I'm seeing another side of you today."  I believe that is a good thing.  People who see us in our Sunday best should see us in track pants as well.  I ought to be the same man in the pulpit as I am at home.  At the same time "another side" of me should not compromise or contradict the other.  The credibility of Christians is undermined when areas of our lives do not agree.  It sends a confusing message to people when our language and practices change based upon our role in church or who our friends are.

We should be "same same," meaning regardless of who is watching, what we do for a living, or what our role in church is, and we must consistently maintain biblical values.  But we are also called to embrace our sanctification, part of which is the process of becoming more Christ-like in word and actions.  It is right for us as disciples of Jesus to be "same same, but different" because we are being transformed more into the likeness of Christ.  We remain the same people in one sense, but we are continually being made new, more loving, gracious, and obedient to our God we fear and honour.  Before God I wish to have interactions with people who knew me five, ten, or twenty years ago and say with amazement, "You're the same goofy guy but I can see you are different.  Jesus means much more to you now.  I had no problem recognising you, but now talking to you it is obvious you have been changed - for the better."

Is your life with Jesus consistent, both in private and public?  Or would it be better said Christianity is a stiff suit you put on for special occasions when it benefits you to do so?  If Christianity is only an external exercise for you, it isn't real.  When we are justified by God's grace through the Gospel we are born again, and this is an inner transformation through the Holy Spirit.  He empowers us to labour and make godly decisions to be set apart for the glory of God, and we should keep changing for the better.  By God's grace I can be "same same" - consistent in beliefs, personal convictions, and practice - but different as I increasingly trust in God for guidance, wisdom, and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)