05 July 2018

Responding to Giving with Giving

One passage of scripture which always brings a smile to my face is the interaction between Abraham and Ephron the son of Zohar.  Sarah the wife of Abraham had died, and as a stranger in the land he did not have a place he owned to provide a proper burial.  Abraham gathered the children of Heth together and because he was highly regarded the people invited him to make his request.  Genesis 23:7-9 states, "Then Abraham stood up and bowed himself to the people of the land, the sons of Heth. 8  And he spoke with them, saying, "If it is your wish that I bury my dead out of my sight, hear me, and meet with Ephron the son of Zohar for me, 9 that he may give me the cave of Machpelah which he has, which is at the end of his field. Let him give it to me at the full price, as property for a burial place among you."  And so began an extended discussion concerning the land and their final agreement.

The way Abraham spoke about buying the field is interesting because he never uses the wording we typically would.  We might say, "I'd like to buy that," or "I'll take that off your hands."  But Abraham asked Ephron to give him the land, and he would give the full price for it.  In our culture when we buy something or pay for a service, we give to receive.  After Ephron agreed to give him the land and cave, Abraham responded to giving with giving. Genesis 23:12-13 reads, "Then Abraham bowed himself down before the people of the land; 13 and he spoke to Ephron in the hearing of the people of the land, saying, "If you will give it, please hear me. I will give you money for the field; take it from me and I will bury my dead there."  The price was agreed upon, the money weighed before witnesses, and the title transferred.  Ephron gave him the land, and Abraham gave full price for it.

This transaction between Ephron and Abraham is similar to the Gospel.  Jesus gave His life for us, and we should not be content with His giving alone:  having been born again by grace through faith we ought to give ourselves to Him.  What a privilege it is God would give all things to us, and that He would delight to receive anything from our hands.  We do not give motivated by guilt of all we have received but of thankfulness for all God has given.  Jesus was willing to pay the full price for our sins on the cross, and having been purchased with His blood we too can give.  We are not entitled to receive any gifts, and what a privilege it is we can give to God and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)