31 October 2018

Grief and Love

The life, experiences, and example of Jesus are a constant source of comfort to Christians.  He was in all points tempted, yet without sin.  This demonstrates how He walked in obedience to the Father and He will always lead us according to the Father's will.  The prophet Isaiah spoke of the Messiah being a "man of sorrows" and "acquainted with grief."  We have all experienced sorrow and grief, but never to the level of a holy God who completely knows the thoughts and hearts of men.  There is much which grieves God that escapes our notice, yet Jesus retained fullness of joy. Though He grieved Jesus did not despair, and this is a trap we can avoid by His grace.

Today in prayer I was speaking with God about things which grieve me.  The Webster's 1828 dictionary defines "grieve" in these ways:  "1. To give pain of mind to; to afflict; to wound the feelings; 2. To afflict; to inflict pain on; 3. To make sorrowful; to excite regret in; 4. To offend; to displease; to provoke."  I was reminded how Esau's choice of wives brought about great grief of mind to his mother, Rebekah.  Then in dawned on me:  Esau's poor decisions were a grief of mind to Rebekah because she loved her son.  She cared about him and wanted only the best.  This instance shows grief can be a result of love for others.  Love, when provoked by pains or harm of those dear to us, can respond with grief.

This is a surprising development, that increased love for others brings about additional grief for us - and in addition great happiness and satisfaction.  I am most pleased to be married to my wife and to be blessed by God with two sons.  Their friendship and companionship is a treasure to me, and it is a pleasure to know and spend time with them.  At the same time, because I do love them, their struggles or decisions can be a source of grief.  Their decisions do not grieve someone down the street or across the globe because they do not know or love them.  But because I love them I care, and I become more acquainted with grief because of God's love in me.

When we grow in love of God and others, we will experience grief.  God never does anything to be grieved over, but I can be grieved how I have often grieved Him by sinful choices, selfish behaviour, and hurtful words.  I have grieved him by my unbelief and folly.  I dislike the feelings of grief very much and try to avoid them, and my life has given cause for Jesus to be grieved.  But praise the LORD, I do not need to drown in grief perpetually because my Saviour does not.  He knows me, has saved and washed me, and made me righteous by His grace.  I do not need to grieve continually for others either, having committed them into the hands of God who loves them far more than I ever could.  We should keep on loving, but we don't need to grieve forever as those without hope.  Grief will someday be a thing of the past, and we can always rejoice in the our Saviour's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)