15 May 2019

Understanding the Covenant

God has provided us brains to reason and think, and it is good to consider carefully the things we read and hear.  Though we all have knowledge, we can come to incorrect conclusions.  Even Christian believers we respect who have taught us much through books, people we knew personally who led exemplary lives of obedience and faithfulness, are not infallible.  It is the scripture, not the teachings of men or even what seems expedient or useful, which keeps us grounded in truth.  Another difficulty is when the reader misunderstands what is meant by the author.  This can happen when the definition or common use of words change over time or are used differently in another culture.

I am reading through a new compilation of A.W. Tozer's sermons and came across a thought which has been on my mind of late.  Having established how obedience to God is a key aspect in our relationship with God, he said this:  "My obedience is based on my commitment to God.  As I understand my commitment to God, I begin to see flowing into my life the attributes of God that protect me from an enemy or an adversary." (Tozer, A. W., and James L. Snyder. A Cloud by Day, a Fire by Night: Finding and Following Gods Will for You. Bethany House Publishers, a Division of Baker Publishing Group, 2019. page 49)

Commitment is a tricky issue I have been thinking about lately.  "Commit" is a word often used in scripture; the word "commitment" never occurs in translations I checked (KJV, NKJV, NIV, NAS).  When a person commits a crime, it means they have done the thing.  When I make a commitment to take out the rubbish, it is a promise or pledge I will do so.  Proverbs 16:3 says, "Commit your works to the LORD, and your thoughts will be established."  We are not told to make a "commitment" but to "commit" our works to the LORD.  In the church I grew up in it was common for backsliders to "re-commit" their lives to the LORD - another term not found in scripture.  You commit your life to the LORD, or you don't.  Making a commitment may only be words.  A backslider is called to repent of sin and start doing what pleases God - not to jump on for another go on the "re-commit-cycle."

If I define Tozer's use of "commitment" to the Oxford dictionary it means, "responsibility, obligation, duty."  But is this why I ought to obey - because I have said I would or because I know God is holding me responsible?  Maybe.  Think about this: a man and woman make a commitment to be married, but their bond is deeper than spoken words because it is a covenant before God He has established.  Understanding God has offered me a covenant for my eternal salvation in His own blood I entered into by grace through faith is far more binding than my commitment.  It was the love of God, God's love demonstrated towards Paul that constrained him to obey God - not primarily a sense of duty or obligation (which I'm sure was part of the equation on some level).

After reading what Tozer said about obedience I believe the opposite rings more true:  "My obedience is based on God's commitment to me."  All kinds of words have come out of my mouth.  I have spoken truth but also during my life there has been boasting, lies, deceit, exaggeration, gossip, and blasphemy.  But when God says something, everything He says is true, righteous, and trustworthy.  When I make a commitment I may or may not follow through, but Jesus already committed Himself into the hands of the Father on Calvary.  He demonstrated His love for me whilst I was a sinner by dying in my place.  God's Word has been proven true again and again so when He speaks, it is the Gospel truth.  When I understand the covenant of grace and love God has given to me, I am learning to obey with thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)