16 October 2019

Andrew Murray Quote

A quote from Andrew Murray was recently shared with me from a friend battling cancer, and it is a great reminder how God is sovereign and good regardless of our health, circumstances, or feelings.  Because of the depth of suffering, pain, and sorrow we face in this life unless a person knows God they cannot accept this statement as remotely true.  But for those who know God, knowing they are known by Him, they can affirm the words of Andrew Murray when he wrote:
In time of trouble, say, first, He brought me here. It is by His will I am in this strait place; in that I will rest. Next, He will keep me here in his love, and give me grace in this trial to behave as his child. Then say, He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me lessons he intends me to learn, and working in me the grace he means to bestow. And last, say, in his good time he can bring me out again. How and when, he knows. Therefore, say, I am here (1) by God's appointment, (2) in His keeping, (3) under His training, (4) for His time.
It is faith in God which allows us to walk in the love, joy, peace, and patience required to endure and press on.  Because God is faithful to His Word and His promises we can rest in Him even if the earth shakes and mountains are thrown into the sea.  This globe we inhabit will one day be dissolved in flame with everything on it, but those who hope in the LORD lack no good thing.  It may be that death is the passage we must travel to enter into eternal glory, but God's glory will not be tainted by the strain of the journey.  Though I have not experienced cancer, I have received great encouragement from passages like Isaiah 65:17-18:  "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former shall not be remembered or come to mind. 18 But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem as a rejoicing, and her people a joy."

I don't know about you, but I am looking forward to new heavens and a new earth--plus a glorified body free from sickness, pain, and sorrow.  I almost shed a tear thinking about how good it will be to have God wipe away all tears from our eyes.  There is part of us that holds onto memories of this life, good and bad.  In the eternal state we will be perfected and know what we need to know.  Since we will not be God and know everything we will rejoice to be ever learning of our awesome God and resting in His truth without fiery trials and the burden of this perishing flesh.

Praise the LORD He is creating a joyful reunion for all those who fear His name, and we do not need to wait for eternity to experience His love and peace.  We have His comfort and rest today, if we will trust and seek Him, and we will also enjoy His presence forevermore.  It is only the Christian who can say regardless of the season, "All the time God is good!" and experience rest in our loving Saviour who is our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)