02 November 2019

Jesus is the Worthy One

This past week I traveled to New Zealand with a fellow pastor who flies much more than me.  Because of the millions of miles he has logged he has earned status I have not:  free entrance to the Air New Zealand lounge and the ability to bring a guest.  On my own I would be denied access to the comfort of the lounge:  comfortable seats, free food and drink, well-maintained toilets, and internet access.  Bronze status certainly doesn't provide the benefits diamond or gold status does!

I admit that when I follow my friend into the lounge, there is a sneaking feeling of unworthiness because I haven't earned or paid for the right to enter on my own.  What I was struck with today is in a similar sense I will only be able to enter heaven one day because of what Jesus has done.  It is because He has paid for us and is good and gracious to invite us we can become children of God and gain access into the presence of God.  We are all unworthy, but it is our worthy LORD and Saviour who has made us accepted in the beloved.

Instead of feeling guilty we are in ourselves unworthy, how much better it is for us to express our thanks and gratefulness to God for all He has accomplished on our behalf.  It denies our God glory for us to be self-focused when Jesus denied Himself to save us by grace through faith.  We are easily self-conscious, but we ought to humble ourselves so Jesus Christ might be glorified.  We can even be bold in belonging because Jesus has purchased us with His own blood.  Embarrassment and shame evaporates in the presence of our almighty King and any who might criticise us because we don't measure up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)