26 November 2020

Marvelous are God's Works

I read a news article yesterday about a "monolith" being found in Utah desert that hearkened back to the ground-breaking science fiction film by Stanley Kubrick, 2001: A Space Odyssey.  As a person who believes the biblical account that God created the heavens, the earth and all living things, the irony of the situation is most amusing.

The 9NEWS article begins, "A bizarre four-metre high metal block found in the isolated wilderness of the Utah desert is the work of a dead sculpture artist, his former agent believes.  Officials from the Utah Department of Public Safety Aero Bureau stumbled upon the shiny monolith on November 18 while conducting a survey on big horn sheep.  The object has no signifying marks but appears to have been bolted to the ground with "human-made rivets".  The metal block in isolated wilderness is called "bizarre" because reason tells us polished stainless steel never presents itself naturally in erect monoliths.  Based upon our knowledge of the world and the identification of rivets (which are always man-made with a matching male/female components and pressed together) confirms without a doubt it was placed there by someone.  The debate is only about who might be responsible--with no one arguing this shiny block occurred by chance.

Isn't it ironic people debate the sudden appearance of a stainless steel object in a desert but little consideration is given to countless living things which teem upon the earth and reproduce after their kind?  In 2001: A Space Odyssey the existence of primates living in a barren wilderness to me is a far more curious and improbable development than the sudden appearance of a looming, inert monolith.  The same living, reasoning people who assume a monolith must have been constructed by someone because of the design cannot see and refuse to acknowledge their existence on this planet is far more impossible and necessitates being created.  Is not a human being infinitely more complex than a sculpture of steel?  When I consider the intricacies of the human body and the ability of people, plants, animals and insects to reproduce after their own kind, I gaze upon living beings which cannot reasonably have arisen by chance and natural selection alone.  It would be infinitely easier for a block of steel with "human-made rivets" to appear in the desert without a sculptor than for a male and female human being to exist at the same time on this planet and produce a healthy baby without a Creator.

David acknolwedged God as his Creator who knows all and does marvels in Psalm 139:11-19:  "If I say, "Surely the darkness shall fall on me," even the night shall be light about me; 12 indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You. 13 For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. 14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them. 17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! 18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; when I awake, I am still with You."  It is a small marvel a block of shiny metal would be erected in the desert compared to the marvel God is who created man and does miraculous things, whose thoughts toward us are more numerous than the grains of sand.  Great is the LORD and worthy to be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)