01 November 2021

Someone Loves Ned

Early this morning during a walk I happened upon an unexpected sight.  It wasn't the sliver of a moon hanging overhead or the mist which couched in the low lying fields that surprised me:  it was repeated declarations of love emblazoned in white and blue chalk all across the bitumen road that read, "I love Ned."

I was amused as I walked over the writing of someone who clearly was smitten by "Ned."  It made me wonder who this "Ned" was, if it was a person, dog, cat or skink.  Was "Ned" aware of this love written so boldly with elaborate lettering, or were these affections still a secret to him?  I considered what Ned must have done to have such devoted persistence to declare this love so willingly and passionately.  The last proclamation was even more personal:  "I love my Ned."  Let's just say these messages made me curious about Ned and his chalky admirer.

As I finished the walk, my thoughts went back to the chalk messages proclaiming to all a love of "Ned."  It gave me pause to consider if my words and deeds are such a bold declaration of love for Jesus.  Wouldn't it be a wonderful thing for lives of Christians to provoke such curiosity about Jesus Christ who loves us, who demonstrated His love for all people on the cross?  His declaration of love was far greater and enduring than messages written in chalk, for Jesus shed His own blood to save us sinners.  As wonderful and worthy as Ned might be to be loved, Jesus Christ is the most worthy of all.

I might never know who Ned is or meet him myself, but the glorious truth is everyone can know Jesus by faith in Him.  We do not need to see Jesus face-to-face, shake His nail-scarred hand or embrace Him to know He is real because He has revealed Himself to all in the word of God and through the love of His disciples.  Because Jesus gives all who trust Him eternal life, we will one day meet and all be together forever.  May people say of us believers, "Boy, they sure do love Jesus."  Oh, how I love Jesus, and I pray you would love Him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)