27 September 2023

Obeying the Gospel

Whether we watch the news on TV or scroll through articles online, this is a common way we receive information about what is happening in the world around us.  Very seldom (if ever) are news articles a call to personal action.  Newsreaders and reporters simply convey a handful of stories of national and international significance and local topics that include politics, traffic, sports and weather.  It makes sense we would seek out a reliable, trustworthy source of news so we can be accurately informed.  The Gospel, the Good News, is much more than a story to believe, for it is a revelation of God and from God Christians are called to obey.

On the topic of these glad tidings Paul wrote in Romans 10:16-17, "But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our report?" 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."  The primary imperative of the Gospel is we must receive and believe it, and genuine faith is always evidenced by intentional actions.  Having heard the preaching of God's word, we first obey the Gospel by believing it is true:  God is righteous, I am a sinner, Jesus came to earth to provide atonement for sin and eternal life, and by believing Jesus is the Christ I will be born again, forgiven and adopted into the family of God.  The Gospel we believe is not only the starting point of our faith, but is to guide our thoughts, actions and words going forward.  Having freely been forgiven I am to forgive others; having received the love of God, I also ought to love God and others.

The Gospel not only transforms our spiritual standing before God for eternity, but it also ought to impact our day-to-day lives.  If we believe a story we heard on the news is of interest to us and others, we likely will share it with them.  A story with a headline that has no interest to me will have no impact on my life because I will not bother even to read the article.  I cannot share what I do not know or convey knowledge I do not possess.  There are articles which do interest me but do not interest others in my family, so there is no reason to share them.  The Gospel is of interest for me and everyone else because a relationship with the living God is freely on offer, an open door of salvation, eternal life and fellowship with God swung open wide for all who receive Jesus to walk through.

If I believe asbestos causes lung disease, I will wear the protective equipment and take necessary precautions to prevent fibers becoming airborne.  In like fashion, if I believe I am a sinner headed to hell and there is a way of eternal life available to me by trusting Jesus, faith guides me to humble myself in repentance and reliance upon the risen Saviour today and every day.  In addition to believing the Gospel saves, we also obey the Gospel by humbling ourselves before other people, serving selflessly as Jesus did when He washed the disciples feet.  In coming to earth and putting on human flesh Jesus humbled Himself as an example we are to follow in our households, while driving, whether at work or at play.  Obeying the Gospel is more than listening to it or believing it:  it is walking by faith in God and obedience to God and His word every day in our pilgrimage to glory.  Our countenance can shine because we know we are loved, and we do not despair in trials because we are blessed and greatly helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)