04 January 2015

The Candle of the LORD

"The spirit of a man is the lamp of the LORD, searching all the inner depths of his heart."
 Proverbs 20:27

This verse was in my Bible portion I read this morning and God has used it to illuminate me today.  The scriptures say God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all (1 John 1:5).  Jesus is the Light of the World, sent to bring light into the darkness.  Psalm 119:105 compares God's Word to a lamp which lights our path:  "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."  The Proverbs passage above in the KJV calls the spirit of a man "the candle of the LORD," something which we commonly call "the conscience."  Even as a flickering light shows us where solid footing is free from obstructions, so the conscience illuminates our hearts, minds, and motives.  It is not a pleasant experience when our conscience brings sin to light according to God's Word, but it is for the best.  In the end it is fruitful and a great blessing, even though it is hard for us to accept.

After a conversation I had today (which was light and friendly), the LORD used the light of my conscience to reveal sin in my heart.  He said something like, "Did you enjoy your little whinge today?"  Those from the UK or Australians will understand what this means.  For any Americans our there, a "whinge" could be compared to what is called "whining."  It is defined by the Oxford Dictionary as, "to complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way."  Whilst I was speaking I did not thing myself as whinging at all!  But as the light of my conscience shone upon my words, I could only agree with God's assessment.  The majority of the conversation was me talking about how hard things were, all the work I had done, and how much I still had to do.  When I could have chosen to speak concerning the faithfulness or goodness of God, my focus was primarily on myself, and it disgusted me.

Call it whinging, complaining, whining, or whatever you like, but when motivated by pride and selfishness it is a foul stench in God's nostrils.  Just because it is natural or normal for people to whinge does not mean it is approved as righteous in God's sight.  Whinging always takes a view of problems apart from God's grace, goodness, and righteousness.  I have no right to trot out my accomplishments as if it's something I have done.  All I am and I have done is by God's grace.  When I complain it is a sign I am focused on myself rather than glorifying and praising God.  I don't need to whinge to people:  I need to cry out to God for strength, deliverance, and help!  I can rejoice and praise Him, knowing that God's grace is sufficient for me and His strength is made perfect in weakness.  Instead of focusing on myself, my feelings, or my efforts, how good it is to praise God and be content in all circumstances.  Pride loves to put self as the main course in a conversation, but humility and godliness holds forth the wonderful truth of God's love and power.

We are called to let our light shine before men, and this happens when we open our eyes to the light of our conscience, confess our sins, repent, and start walking in the right way.  We can be confident that God who began a good work in us will be faithful to complete it (Phil. 1:6).  I have resolved to put off the sin of evil speaking and choose to glorify God with my heart and mouth, so help me God.  In this God is well pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)