01 June 2015

Called to Serve

When I arrived home this afternoon, I turned the kettle on for a hot drink.  Over the sound of the electric kettle I heard an odd mechanical noise outside.  A quick glance out the window revealed evidence which confirmed my suspicion:  the pool pump!  With all the leaves falling of late, the pool filter basket fills quickly.  The large amount of leaves floating on the surface suggested strongly the basket was packed full and the pump was straining to draw water through.  I quickly went outside, turned off the pump, and discarded the leaves which had collected.

As I used the net to skim off the remaining leaves, my initial thought was:  "How is it no one else seems to notice the basket needed to be emptied?"  But then I caught myself.  What if one of my contributions to a smooth running household is my awareness of the pool's condition and doing something about it?  If I was called to be the pool cleaner, why should I be frustrated or annoyed at other people who aren't doing what I am supposed to do?  I am thankful to have a pool, and grateful for the tools and ability to clean it.

Then it struck me:  how many times in church ministry have I seen people bothered the "church" isn't doing what they think it should be doing?  Could it be those people who are acutely aware of a need are actually the ones who could do something about it?  How sad it would be for me to berate my wife and children for not doing the thing I am called to do myself!  Teaching, training, and delegation all have their place and value in life and ministry.  But too often we notice our "pool" is not clean, it bothers us those choking leaves seem to bother us more than others, and this leads to judgmental, grumbling, and sour believers.  It would seem a bit strange for me to pray God would call someone to clean up these leaves - when I am holding the skim net in my hands.  Huh.  It looks like God already has!

How good it is to know God is in control, and He gives us the ability to rejoice in any situation.  If God has called you to be a pool cleaner, rejoice!  If He has called you to do the washing, clean dishes, or mop floors for the glory of His name, so be it!  In all things may we be thankful, happy to be of service in the simple ways He graciously provides.  Instead of frustration the pool wasn't clean, I can rejoice God led me to notice the condition and clean it myself.  Ah, the bliss of doing what God calls us to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)