10 June 2015

Deceitful and Desperately Wicked

"Thus says the LORD: "Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart departs from the LORD."
Jeremiah 17:5

It is remarkable how deceitful our hearts of flesh can be.  We will cheat at solitaire!  If we will cheat whilst playing cards or a board game which is insignificant in eternity's light, what will we do or say under pressure?  Christians have been spiritual regenerated by faith in Christ and given a new heart, but deceit continues to lurk in our flesh.  Regeneration does not mean perfection.  This morning during an early round of golf, I wrote a 4 on my scorecard instead of a 5.  I was convicted by my sin and changed the score.  C'mon, really?  And I was playing all by myself!  God, deliver me from the folly and deceit of my own wicked heart!

Faithfulness in the little things matters.  How important it is to recognise our sin and repent immediately!  It is in yielding in little things which demonstrates a departure from trust in God.  As stupid as it is to cheat while playing golf by yourself, it is infinitely more foolish to depart from trusting God and placing our confidence in men.  Our hearts depart from the LORD before there is any tangible evidence.  That is why it is important we abide in Christ, being filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit.  He brings conviction of sin, righteousness, and judgment.  He guides us into all truth and provides the comfort and help we desperately need.

Jeremiah 17:9-10 reads, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it? 10 I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings."  Only God knows the depths of the wickedness in our hearts.  Only He is able to cleanse and wash us of the filth of deceit.  On the golf course today God supplied me a test I failed and then passed through repentance, all by the grace of God.  God's tests are more humiliating than a four-putt, and far more beneficial.  Let us cry out in humility to God, asking Him to see if there be any wicked way in us.  Praise the LORD, for He restores our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)