25 July 2009

David Brainerd quotes...

During a sermon at camp, youth pastor Jeremy King of CC Vista suggested The Life and Diary of David Brainerd, compiled by Jonathan Edwards. I was able to purchase this book on alibris.com (great for rare or out of print books; for Christian books in print I use christianbook.com) So far it has been an interesting read of Edwards and Brainerd, two men whose devotion and piety towards God are rarely seen among professing followers of Christ and from whose example I fall woefully short.

A couple of quotes resonated in my heart: "I wanted not the favor of man to lean upon; for I knew Christ's favor was infinitely better, and that it was no matter when, nor where, nor how Christ should send me, nor what trials He should still exercise me with, if I might be prepared for His work and will" (pg. 79).

On the day of his 24th birthday (David only lived to 29 years of age) he writes, "Oh, how much mercy have I received the year past! How often has God caused His goodness to pass before me! And how poorly have I answered the vows I made this time twelve month to be wholly the Lord's, to be forever devoted to His service! The Lord help me to live more to His glory for the time to come. This has been a sweet, a happy day to me; blessed be God...I hardly ever so longed to live to God and to be altogether devoted to Him. I wanted to wear out my life in His service, and for His glory" (pg. 81).

Indeed, and well put. So sings my soul: Amen, and Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing those quotes. They are powerful, convicting, and encouraging all at the same time, which could actually be said of all your posts. This blog is really coming together, nice work capp'n. Praise the Lord, for He has done great things!

    ReplyDelete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)