30 July 2009

Shepherd's Staff

I have been praising God for His faithfulness and peace. I was able to meet with Pastor Pat from Shepherd's Staff and believe that I will take steps to pursue a partnership with that group. From the moment we sat down, God directed our conversation. I enjoyed the sweetness of gracious fellowship. Even in Coco's, I felt right at home.

Now I'm not much of a "feeling" person. I don't believe that feelings always dictate God's leading. I tend to distrust feelings as a basis for belief. But sometimes we can go too far and disregard feelings entirely. God has given us feelings as well as senses. They both are necessary and important. However, faith operates on a plane that reaches beyond the physical senses. The Word of God provides the foundation for belief and though our feelings or senses may not agree, faith remains the true path. The scriptures say, "The just shall live by faith."

How good it is to have a God who directs and guides us along this path of faith! If all I had to guide me were my feelings and senses, I would be absolutely lost! Walking by sight is a curse rather than a blessing. Walking by sight and consequent unbelief denied the children of Israel their inheritance in Canaan. They saw the giants in the land and saw themselves as puny as grasshoppers. Had they looked with eyes of faith to God Almighty, they would have seen the giants in the land as grasshoppers!

When we see God in truth as the Almighty Creator of All, and praise Him as the conquering, triumphant KING, all else fades in comparison. We see ourselves in truth as pitiful, weak, and helpless. Following Jesus is too much for us. But to God be the glory, who is the Lifter of our heads and the Giver of peace. Philip. 4:6-7 says, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; [7] and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Our feelings can fail us and our senses can deceive us, but the Word of God will endure forever! No one goes to heaven because they "feel" like it, and the eyes of man cannot see nor hear Death coming for him. We will enter into heaven on the merits of Christ alone, a finished work received through repentance and faith in Him. That feels pretty good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)