10 November 2009

Only God Knows

"He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap. [5] As you do not know what is the way of the wind, or how the bones grow in the womb of her who is with child, so you do not know the works of God who makes everything.  [6] In the morning sow your seed, and in the evening do not withhold your hand; for you do not know which will prosper either this or that, or whether both alike will be good."
Ecclesiastes 11:4-6

One aspect of following Jesus Christ in faith is not knowing exactly where He is heading.  We know that all things work for good to those who love God, but we often don't know how He will make good of a situation.  It is not until much later we begin to recognize the hand of God leading, guiding, and protecting us.  During my evening reading last night, I came upon this verse and was very blessed.  I have been asked many times by people in OZ how the LORD is leading me in future decisions:  if I have a sense where I will move, how I will obtain a visa, or if God has revealed His ultimate plan for my family and myself.  I know this is a small precursor to the barrage of questions I will no doubt face upon my arrival back in the States, and frankly I'm not prepared to answer them.

What goodness and peace we gain from the Word of God!  As I was reading, this verse was a great comfort to me.  With all of my travels, personal connections, and newly forged friendships, I don't know how God will use them in the future.  But just like I don't know how the bones of a child form in the womb of a mother, so I cannot comprehend the ways of God.  Solomon paints a picture of a reluctant farmer who will not plant because the wind is too strong, or will not harvest because the sky is overcast.  In his wisdom Solomon exhorts that we not be slack in our labor because of supposed hindrances, but labor while it is day.  It is God who will bring the increase.  Jesus said in John 9:4, "I must work the works of Him that sent me, while it is day:  the night cometh, when no man can work."

I have no doubt the connections I have made throughout Australia will be instrumental in my future by the grace and mercy of God, as true as I know that a healthy pregnancy results in a baby.  I don't know how God knits the baby together, but I know that He does.  Conception preceeds new life.  When the call of God is fertilized with faith, new life develops that can only be imagined at first, not explained.  But as the child emerges into the world, the parents rejoice to see the little person God fashioned according to His perfect design.  In the same way, I don't know how God is using this trip.  But I know He is using it to change me and prepare everyone for the work He wants to do.  And when this baby ministry is brought to the birth, all will see and rejoice in what God has done.  It is a miracle that God includes man in His plan.

I encourage you to trust God whether you know how He is using your present situation or not.  When God has spoken truth to your heart through His Word and Holy Spirit, add to that truth faith in Him.  He says in Isaiah 66:9:  "Shall I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth? saith the LORD:  shall I cause to bring forth, and shut the womb? saith thy God."  God makes all things beautiful in His time, and childbirth is a painful, laborious process.  A life of faith is a difficult one, but wrought with countless blessings.  A life of faith is one without end, for Christ gives all those who trust in Him eternal life.  Only God knows the difficulties and struggles you face, and He is able to use every one of those for good that He might be glorified.  Rejoice in the process, for the end result is beyond compare! 

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord for the continual reminder of His faithfulness! The peace He gives is BEYOND understanding, not in it. Praise Him that He has promised to mature and complete that which He has begun, in this trip and in your life.
    ...."And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:4

    ReplyDelete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)