23 November 2009

Status Update!

Throughout my recent trip to Australia my mind wandered to what I might do when I arrived back in the United States.  I knew for certain that the chapter at my life on staff at Calvary Chapel El Cajon was finished.  If you're in the middle of a great book, there's no turning back to "re-live" a chapter you were particularly fond of.  The enjoyment of the finished chapter urges you to anticipate the next.  That is how it has been for me.  The time I spent at Calvary was the greatest chapter of my life, but that chapter is closed.  Now I am looking forward to the next chapter but I'm not capable or allowed to skim to the end.  Page by page the story unfolds, and every page more interesting with unexpected twists and turns.

The moment came last Thursday (11/19) when I stepped onto the tarmac of the commuter terminal in San Diego.  That surreal moment was 60 days in the making as I toured and preached in churches and houses throughout Australia:  Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, and Canberra.  But it wasn't just a preaching trip:  it was a learning, growing, connecting with people trip.  It was a great opportunity to have a real taste of Aussie culture and process through a wilderness experience with God alone, who guided and sustained me.  At the moment my feet hit the pavement, I had no idea what I would be doing on Tuesday (11/24).

The day I arrived home (Thursday), I spoke to my brother Mat about work.  During my trip it was affirmed constantly the best way to enter the country would be through a permanent working visa through my trade, mechanical insulation.  I chose not to pursue this potential while in OZ because I believe God did not desire that I run around seeking sponsorship at that time, for He had prepared places for me to preach, minister, and help.  I asked God to open the doors He wanted me to walk through.  He has certainly done that!  The following day (Friday) my brother called me and offered me a job with the company he works for, Far West Insulation.  Believe it or not, Sunday I talked to the superintendent at church and he said it's a  go.  I called the union today, was placed on the out of work list, and tomorrow I go in for work!

Within five days of arriving home, I have a full-time journeyman level job in a trade that will be a great asset to me in securing a visa to Australia.  It is truly nothing short of miraculous.  Trades tend to slow down during the Christmas holiday season, yet I have an opportunity in a tough economic period to support my family and save money for our family to be established in Australia.  I praise God for His provision and I can say that it is really the story of my life.  What do I have that God has not graciously provided?  He has given me hands to labor, and a mouth to witness of His greatness.  Let us use all our assets and all the time He has allotted to glorify Him.

When God closes a chapter of your life, look forward to God's future.  Don't attempt to recreate the past or dwell on past success or failure.  Look to Jesus, for He will always lead us according to the Father's perfect will.  It is our God who works in us both to will and do His good pleasure.  God has done miracles in my life, and to the common eye they seem natural.  Through eyes of faith, however, His supernatural hand is seen!  May we sing with those who stand in victory as written in Rev. 15:3:  "They sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying:  "Great and marvelous are Your works, Lord God Almighty!  Just and true are Your ways, O King of the saints!"  As God is our Provider, may we provide Him abundant praise for the marvelous things He has done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)