24 May 2010

Essential Fundamentals

When I was a kid, baseball was my favorite sport to play.  As much as I loved tracking down fly balls during practice, I could never seem to get my fill of hitting.  No matter how much I wanted to hit, however, at some point fatigue placed a limit on quality swings.  After a while the hands would become sore and blistered, and the bat began to feel heavier and heavier.  My dad always cautioned me about fatigue leading to bad habits.  Compensation for pain and soreness leads to a complete breakdown of fundamentals.  This is true not only in baseball but in the spiritual realm as well.

I ran cross country in high school and was blessed to have good coaching.  People may not think there is much "form" to swinging a bat or running, but there certainly is!  Though everyone may have distinct running styles, there are basic fundamentals common to every good runner:  pace, the degree of the bend of the arms, the posture of the back, arm swing, breathing, footing, length of stride, and more.  The more a runner is fatigued the more he must focus on the basics of breathing and technique.  There is no prize for wasted motion, and a runner falls off the pace quickly when mechanics break down.

Waiting on the LORD is hard work.  Paul described his Christian experience in terms of a race set before Him.  He ran with certainty, choosing to waste no motion.  As I wait on the LORD to direct me in ministry, I have certainly experienced a difficult season.  It is challenging to maintain focus on Jesus when we are battle-weary and surrounded with distractions.  But it is when we are fatigued we must focus on the fundamentals of our faith!  When I was tired during my run today, my thoughts were on my form:  leaning forward slightly on the uphill terrain, bending my arms at 90 degrees, and exaggerating my arm swing a little help me climb without losing pace.

A verse which helps me is Hebrews 12:2:  "...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."  I'm never to be the focus of my life, but I should examine how I run the race God has set before me.  We talk about "getting back to basics," but it's important I never forsake the fundamentals of faith.  Trust in Christ is absolutely essential as I rest in Him by His grace, being led by the Holy Spirit in all things.  When we are hurting and struggling to hold on, we must look to Jesus!  He is the Author and Finisher of my faith.  I shouldn't have to or need to look to anything but Him, for He is my LORD, Savior, and King.  Heaven itself pales in the glory of His face.

Have you begun to focus on your shoes or gym shorts instead of the fundamentals of running?  Is all your spiritual food found in sermons and commentaries when Christ is to be our Source?  Has fatigue and battle wounds drawn you to seeking peace and comfort apart from Christ?  God has fresh manna for all daily to be gleaned from His Word.  He has granted us the Spirit given without measure.  Keep the main focus your main focus.  God provides the strength and breath:  let us use it for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)