16 May 2010

Power of a Dream

During my second of three trips to Australia, I witnessed Jessica Watson embark on a voyage intending to circle the globe unassisted.  It was yesterday I saw the news clip on cnn.com she successfully returned to the Sydney harbour after 210 days at sea.  Jessica was welcomed by thousands of people at the Opera house and was cheered by the Prime Minister Kevin Rudd himself.  When called a hero by some of her admirers, she humbly brushed aside the title.  She said in her speech, "I don't consider myself a hero.  I'm an ordinary girl who believed in her dream...you just have to have a dream, believe in it, and work hard...anything really is possible."

First of all, I must say I am quite impressed by Jessica's accomplishments.  To sail a 34' yacht around the world unassisted is amazing.  Not being a sailor I wonder things like, "What happens when you fall asleep?" or "What kind of non-perishable food was she eating for 210 days?"  I am also impressed by her resolve to spend such an amount of her life during her high school days to sail - maybe she's looking at is as an early "gap" year.  For those who are unfamiliar with the term, it is common for young Australians to take a year off between high school and university for travel, recreation, or a break from the stress of school.  In America this is unheard of and clashes with our high value we place on production in the workplace, college education, and quick career decisions.

I am also impressed with Jessica's humility in not desiring to be seen as a heroine.  The only thing lacking in her statements is the mention of God and giving Him glory for her accomplishment of her goals.  I thought about what she said concerning the empowerment of young people to accomplish their dreams:  "You just have to have a dream, believe in it, and work hard."  Is that really the path to success?  Not many people have the opportunity to sail a boat, much less have a 34' yacht outfitted to sail around the world.  I have seen countless people who desire to be an "American Idol" and worked really hard and frankly are lousy at best.  How many kids dream of being a professional baseball player or star quarterback in the NFL and never realize that goal?  Did they work any less hard?  Was it only the lack of privilege, skill, hard work, or the fact their dreams reached far beyond their own potential to fulfill?  Sailing around the world involves a terrific amount of training, dedication, and hard work.  Jessica Watson was able to fulfill this dream of hers through the grace of God, the training and equipment provided by her parents and sponsors, and refusing to give up.

How does this philosophy help a child born blind who dreams to one day see again?  Almost on a weekly basis I talk with a woman who has never been able to walk because of a physical deformity.  Her dream is to walk, but no amount of hard work, effort, training, or medical treatment can make this dream come true.  The fact is, some dreams are far above our ability to obtain through any means.  It is only God who puts in our hearts a wild, impossible kind of dream and fulfills it by His grace, mercy, and power.  That a man could live forever in heaven with his Creator!  No more pain, no more sorrow, no sin, sickness, or death!  This is not an impossible dream but a reality for those who are born again by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.  No amount of hard work can aid a man in obtaining heaven.  I am not saying that everyone born blind will be made to physically see again (even though Jesus opened the physical eyes of many) but God will grant the desires of His children's hearts because He put those there.

Whenever the deeds of men are lifted up, man boasts against the God who created him.  The people who united to build a great tower intended to reach heaven were easily confounded by the One who saw the pride in their hearts.  Their dreams fell into ruin when God confused the people by changing languages.  The tower was called Babel, which literally means "confusion."  Man's best efforts come to nothing when attempting to fulfill our heavenly dreams.  I have an uncle who was fond of saying, "If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, you can achieve it."  Sometimes this is true, for the conception must precede the action.  But there are some dreams God has placed upon our hearts which only He can do.  The dream has no power in itself to make it come to fruition.  With men things are impossible, but with God all things are possible!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ben, this touched my heart. I just wanted to let you know from me, as a deaf person, I have a dream to hear and to sing with perfect pitch. I know it'll happen when I get my new body! Oh, I can't wait, but for now, God can have His way in me, and I seek to serve Him with the flawed body He has allowed me to have until He takes me Home.
    Blessings
    Karina :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for that, Karina! It's so awesome you can be a fully-viable tool in His hand right now for His glory! I'm blessed by your response and know God is too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)