28 July 2010

What does it mean?

I saw a viral video the other day which caught my attention.  I actually read about the video "Double Rainbow" before I saw it because people were curious about the man who shot the footage.  What was the story of the man behind the camera who was so excited about a double rainbow?  Was he on drugs?  A follow-up interview on youtube was very insightful into the mind and life of the man overcome by emotion at seeing the glory of God's creation.

As Paul Vasquez responds in ecstasy to the beautiful rainbow, he asks a question a couple of times:  "What does it mean?"  Humans are distinct from all creation in that we appreciate beauty.  Beauty is linked with significance.  Whether we see a gorgeous painting, a masterful sculpture in a gallery, catch the scent of a gently perfumed rose, or drink in a majestic sunset, we are naturally filled with appreciation and delight.  Works of art do not randomly occur, and the beauty of nature is no accident.  Good books and movies always have a reason they were made, a particular point the director or author desires to artistically bring forth.  In a similar way, God has created the earth and all living things for a singular purpose:  His glory!  Psalm 19:1-3 teaches us, "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork. [2] Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. [3] There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard."

Rainbows can be explained as a "natural phenomenon," but never forget that it is God who has perfectly tuned and sustains nature for life to exist.  The beauty alone of a rainbow or the science which attempts to explain it cannot touch the significance.  Thankfully God explains the meaning of the rainbow in the Bible!  After the destruction of the great flood Genesis 9:13-16 reads, "I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. [14] It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; [15] and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. [16] The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth."

I was delighted to hear the emotion of Mr. Vasquez  and I have no doubt God relished it as well.  It was so natural, so genuine.  I do not know of his personal beliefs concerning God, and no doubt some would cringe at the repetition of "Oh my G-d!" as blasphemous.  Interestingly enough, that particular phrase is used some 20 times in scripture during occasions of prayer or worship.  That phrase has become flippant, common, and when used without reverence would indeed be blasphemous.  But how can I judge a man overcome with tears while witnessing the beauty of God's creation on account of his verbiage?  People assume someone so excited about a double-rainbow must be on drugs.  I only wish us Christians had that kind of excitement about the God who made those rainbows!

Every rainbow in the sky is placed there by God.  He takes ownership of every one.  When "I set My rainbow in the cloud...I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh."  That curved band of color is a sign of God's promise to all who live that He will never destroy all flesh with a flood again.  The significance has not changed since the beginning.  As God creates every rainbow and looks upon it, I cannot help but consider He looks upon all people He has made to see if they glory in His handiwork.  If we will shout for a sport team, how much more should we cheer on the Creator of all things!  In this God is pleased.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)