12 September 2010

The Tree Story

There is an interesting story behind this tree growing behind our church building.  Near the walls of the structure of Calvary Chapel El Cajon there are many potted trees, and this used to be one of them.  It was over a year ago when this particular tree fell over in the pot due to saturation from rain.  The concrete pot remained firm on the ground, but the weight of the tree caused it to tip.  For about a week it lay horizontal, the root-ball partially exposed.

The falling of the tree coincided with my very first trip to Australia in April of 2009.  Since the tree didn't die immediately, the church staff figured we would try to save the tree.  The assistant pastor and I began a morning hacking the tree from the pot.  At most we were able to salvage half of the root system.  We dug a hole, planted the tree, lashed it to the fence, and waited to see if our efforts would be rewarded.  We had concluded an early morning prayer meeting when a brother in Christ remarked how this was similar to the transplant which God would do with me and my family.  He said something like, "We'll keep an eye on that tree," as if it was an indication of whether this transplanting of our family in the spiritually barren land of Australia could happen.  The tree went into shock, almost all the leaves fell off, and it seemed doubtful the tree could even take root in that barren soil.  I cut off all the dead wood and kept on watering and feeding.  Nearly every day I would go out and soak the tree before starting work in the church office.  I wondered if that tree would ever grow.

I resigned from my paid position as youth pastor in September '09, and I didn't give the tree any thought.  I went to Australia for two months immediately thereafter, and went again with Laura for two weeks this March.  Today when I went into church early with the ushering team, one of my Christian brothers came up at random and said, "Have you seen that tree you transplanted outside?  It's really going off - it's almost too big for the spot it is planted in."  My mind went back instantly to what the man of prayer to God had said.  I went outside and looked at the tree and took the above picture.  There was no dead wood, no bare spots.  The tree appeared healthy and flourishing.  I smiled as I thought about the implications, the LORD speaking encouragement to my heart:  "If I can make a tree grow in soil like this, can't I make you take root and flourish where I plant you?"

At the time I thought my friend could have read a little far into the tree being transplanted, comparing the tree to me and my family.  Today before the service (without my foreknowledge) it was announced that I would be soon moving to Australia with my family to minister at Calvary Chapel Sydney.  No matter what the future holds we serve a God who will supply us with exactly the strength and fortitude we need to glorify Him.  A story from the book His Part and Ours illustrates the point well:
Divine grace is infinite and exhaustless, but it is never dispensed superfluously.  We must not expect that grace will be given for the doing of the needless.  There are some Christians who stir up needless opposition to themselves and then think they are the Lord's special heroes because they have to suffer.  We should guard against this.  Grace is only promised for real need.  God does not give grace for the spectacular heroism of public martyrdom to one who is called to keep an office ledger.  He gives grace to that one to keep patient and gracious amid the tediousness of the office routine.  Somebody once asked D.L. Moody, "Have you grace enough to be burned at the stake?"  Mr. Moody replied, "No."  The questioner pressed him further, "Do you not wish you had?"  "No," replied Moody again, "for I do not need it.  What I need just now is grace to live in Milwaukee three days and hold a mission."  (J. Sidlow Baxter, pg. 15)
God knows how to make trees grow, for He created and designed them to do just that.  He knows they need sunlight, water, and nutrients.  God also understands  what a family needs to grow, what marriages need, what children need to thrive, what a church fellowship needs to flourish, and what every person needs individually to mature into fruitful Christians.  I am not able, but God is able!  God knows all things, and I know Him!  As it says in Philip. 4:19, "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."  We serve a God whom through His power has given us ALL things which pertain to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3).  Praise God for His great and precious promises.  May we lay hold of every one with unwavering faith by the grace only He supplies.  Won't you trust Him too?

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing story! I remember when that tree fell over, but I'd never heard about its regrowth. I'll have to check out "His Part and Ours" as it sounds like a very useful book.

    ReplyDelete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)