14 January 2011

Identity Crisis?

So much of our lives is caught up in framing our identity in relation to others.  Who we truly are reaches far beyond our actions, careers, hobbies, ethnicity, family traditions, and relationships because man was created by God as a spiritual being.  Yet most people are unaware of this spiritual dynamic of their lives and seek to define themselves by why they do or don't do, common interests, or natural abilities and tendencies.  Birds of like feather stick together, the saying goes, and people are much the same.  As long as there are people there will be cliques, clubs, fraternities, and groups where people can relish their identity together.

Today I came across a offbeat story which captured my attention.  According to an article on cnn.com, people suffered from an identity crisis when they heard that the dates affixed to astrological signs shift over time.  A quote from the article states, "Our identities are precious.  If someone challenges our belief system, it's very threatening. You want to hold on to the fact 'at least I'm a Libra.'"  This is both sad and absurd at the same time.  It would be one thing to live with a tattoo of the "wrong sign" on your body, just like the tattoo of an ex-girlfriend.  But for your identity to be connected to the planets and stars, or to have your choices in life governed by a sentence in your local fish-wrap is appalling!

As a Christian, my identity is found in the person of Jesus Christ, the One who does not change.  The wisdom of the world, governments, hobbies, and lifestyles come and go.  This is the slippery sand which the world is built upon.  What appeared to be great beach-front property 50 years ago has eroded into the surf!  My identity is built upon God as Creator, and I am a being created by Him.  As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:10, "But by the grace of God I am what I am..."  I do not have to join any social groups, or conform to the opinions of others.  I am free to be myself, and do not need to worry that my belief system will be challenged and fail.  Truth can bear scrutiny, examination, fierce persecution, mockery, and violence.  Nothing will change the fact that Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, fulfilled the promises of scripture, was crucified for my sins, rose from the dead the third day, ascended to the right hand of the Father, makes intercession for me and all His church continually, and sent the Holy Spirit to indwell and empower me for His glory.  Jesus is also my Savior, and my life is bound up in His.

Hear the unshakable wisdom and truth of Christ from His own lips:  Matthew 7:24-27 reads, "Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: 25 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: 27 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall."  Jesus is not of this world, and this is also true of those who follow Him.  Planets move in their circuits, stars are born and die.  To seek to construct my identity upon these temporary things is futile and meaningless.  What is more stable:  the swirling tides of the sea or the everlasting Chief Cornerstone, who existed before He created the heavens and the earth and all that is in them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)