11 June 2012

Owner or Go-fer?

My dad is a carpenter.  From a young age I was taught to distinguish between different tools.  Almost every time I accompanied my dad on a work project, he would ask me to fetch a tool.  I learned very early that it would not be good to return to him with the wrong tool or with no tool at all because I didn't look well enough.  He would say something like, "In the back of my truck, in my shoulder box, under the tray, there is a set of Channellocks."  Dad always knew where his tools where.  If for some reason I couldn't immediately find the tool, I would double and triple check that it wasn't there.  I hated it when I couldn't find a tool that my dad would immediately find!  I became a pretty savvy go-fer!  He needed a tool, and I would go-fer it!

This morning I was reminded of a acquaintance I knew as a youth.  When the families of the church would gather together for a work day, there was one boy who was unlike all the rest.  At eight years old, he had his own leather tool belt, hand tools, tape measure, and extension cord!  While I was spending my money on action figures and baseball cards, this boy was always saving up for a new tool.  Me and my friends would scurry off into the bush to play, while this boy was only interested in working.  What a strange kid, I thought to myself.  Our dads already have tools!  Why should we use our money to buy our own tools?  I was content to be a go-fer, but this kid wanted to be in the middle of the action with the tools he owned.

In our Christian life, a choice is placed before us.  We can choose to occupy ourselves with godly labours and works, or we can pursue the passing pleasures of this life.  God has given us the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.  2 Timothy 2:15 reads, "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."  There is a difference between owning your tools and being a go-fer.  Most of the tools I carried I never owned.  I knew what they were called, I recognised them, and carried them in my hands.  But I never actually did any work with them.  God did not provide us the doctrines of His Word so we could be familiar with them, but for us to take them to heart.  God owns us, and He wants us to believe Him.  God is worthy to be believed and trusted.  He did not give us words for the sole purpose of memorisation, but to renew our minds, work in our hearts, and be lived out according to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Tools are most useful when used for their designed purpose.  A hammer may be a decent paperweight, but it is designed to drive nails.  We ought to use the scriptures not for our ends, but for the glory of God.  God's word is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness.  The Sword of the Spirit is only discerned and properly wielded through the leading of the Holy Spirit.  Ecclesiastes 12:10-11 reads, "The Preacher sought to find acceptable words; and what was written was upright--words of truth. 11 The words of the wise are like goads, and the words of scholars are like well-driven nails, given by one Shepherd."  If men can utter wise sayings, how much wiser still is the God who has become for us wisdom?  Jesus Christ is the Good Shepherd, and all He says is truth.  Let us seek to "own" His truth even as Christ owns us, having purchased us with His own shed blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)