05 June 2012

Protein and Vinyl

Recently I began a new exercise regimen with the idea of building muscle and burning fat.  To maximise the effectiveness of a workout, a good diet and quality supplements are key components.  After doing some research, I bought a big tub of whey protein powder from Costco, along with a good multivitamin.  Whey protein isn't cheap, but the health benefits from building a stronger body is worth the investment.

As I loaded the protein powder into the cart, I wondered, "Will this stuff really make a difference?  What happens if I take all this and nothing changes?  Would I buy another tub if the results are negligible?"  So I determined I would commit to the workout while carefully monitoring my progress.  If I don't see improvement, I'm not going to keep going back to what is ineffective.  Why should I pay money for what is not beneficial?

It occurred to me that it is wise to have this sort of self-examination on a spiritual level.  The books we read, the way we spend our time and money, the thoughts we dwell upon, all these things and many other factors can either strengthen us spiritually or cause us to languish.  For many years of my life, I collected vinyl.  At one point I had about 450 albums, filling heavy crates in my apartment.  But a day came when God led me to give them away as a donation to someone in need.  It was a fairly valuable collection.  I loved the music, especially classic rock, but a lot of it did not bring glory to God.

Over the next few years, I can't remember if I had records.  But very slowly I began to acquire records I would find in thrift stores.  I was very picky about their condition and quality.  Ten years later, I had about 100 albums again!  I would listen to them on my Marantz turntable with great enjoyment.  A day came when I felt God speaking to me about my classic rock collection.  "I told you to get rid of these things before because they do not benefit you," I perceived God say.  "It's time for them to go."  I thought back on how subtly godless music had crept into my life.  It was true:  the music didn't benefit me spiritually at all.  This collection was more valuable than my previous one, having been carefully collected.  With the exception of a couple of classical albums and a Star Wars score, I gathered up the rock albums and went to the trash can.  After dumping them in the bin, I looked at them for a moment.  Never again, I told myself.  Never again did I want to acquire things I would have to throw away.  The feeling of loss I experienced when I chucked those albums, knowing I had wasted much money and effort, was a greater sense of loss of living life without them.  But the feeling quickly fled away as I knew through obedience I found strength in God.

How many times do we acquire things at great cost which are actually worthless!  Our flesh enjoys them for a while, but what our flesh loves can be spiritually harmful.  In the same way we should watch what we put into our bodies, we ought to consider what we feed our minds and hearts.  If it doesn't make us spiritually stronger, it's probably not worth having.  Isaiah 55:2-3 reads, "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in abundance. 3 Incline your ear, and come to Me. Hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you-- the sure mercies of David."

Unless that whey protein makes a positive impact on my health, I will not buy it again.  I must show the same resolve with other things in my life.  I praise God that He gives us fresh perspective on things through His Word and the Holy Spirit.  May we exercise faith in obedience to God as we live out our days on this earth, considering carefully the benefits or potential harm of our affections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)