23 September 2012

Making Waves

This past week I had the opportunity to spend some time fishing at Lake Jindabyne and Lake Lyell.  A friend and I drove about six hours southwest from Sydney to Jindabyne.  The weather was brisk and mostly very good.  One thing that struck me is how fast a clear day can change to overcast, or how a choppy surface can quickly become like glass.  I took this photo from the bank of Lake Jindabyne, and I assure you it does not do the breathtaking beauty of the scene justice.
 After several days we packed up and drove six hours north to Lake Lyell, about two hours west of my home.  As we walked around the lake looking for a good spot we came across a couple full grown kangaroos.  I was almost right on top of one before it moved.  The beauty of this place was equally striking.
Since it is still early spring, the water was quite cold.  I expect when the water warms up the fishing will too.  Not too many fisherman were out on the lakes.  Better fishing will bring out more anglers to try their hand at catching some of those waiting trout.  Even though it is early in the spring season, on both lakes there were a handful of boats trolling.  At the end of the day boats would roar back to the dock.  This created waves which slowly traveled from their position and a minute later lapped the shoreline.  Even a man deftly paddling a canoe broke the stillness of the water and the ripples reached my feet.  I thought to myself (especially with the speeding boats), I wonder if they know that the wake of their boats reaches all this way to the shore?  Do they even care?  Sometimes the boats were so far away it was quite some time before the waves reached us.  But they did every time.

I started thinking about how the actions and decisions of people have a broader and more profound effect than the person making them could ever know.  Sometimes a single act can resound for centuries - or even longer.  When Jesus in obedience to the Father laid down His life on Calvary, He did something that impacted eternity for every person walking the earth.  He made a way to heaven, eternal life, and fellowship with God for all who repent and will trust in Him.  In the wake of His sacrifice all can be washed clean and reconciled unto God.

I am convinced that the way we choose to live today makes a difference in our families, in our workplaces, cities, countries, and across the globe.  We may never see the effects of deciding to honour God with our lives.  But we can know that the effect can be enduring as Christ's crucifixion and resurrection because it is He who now lives through us.  My decisions can effect my family for generations for good and God's glory.  Or I can live shortsightedly for myself and negatively impact all those around me - and even people I've never even met.  A life lived for God is the ultimate good a man can do for his wife, children, boss, country, and King.

I don't know about you, but I want to live a life that matters.  I want to live in such a way that my family, friends, and people I've never met will be positively influenced for the glory of God for generations to come.  Your life makes a difference.  Otherwise why would Jesus die so we could live?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)