10 September 2012

A Life Without Worry

Late this morning I took my wife Laura and my sons Zed and Abel to the Sydney International Airport.  For some time now they have been looking forward to this return visit to the United States.  It was on 5 January, 2010 when our family moved to Sydney.  Since relocating to Australia we have been blessed to host both my in-laws and parents, pastors, a family friend, and even a young man we had never met before!  So now Laura and the boys are able to be visitors and spend time with family and friends.  We praise God for the prayer and monthly financial support, and this trip was made possible through a special gift for that purpose.  We thank God for His provision and faithfulness towards us, and many people have been the conduits of that blessing.

It's a strange feeling, sending the family away with a few bags while I stay home.  Almost every other time we head to the airport it has been the other way around - me leaving and the family staying behind.  All sorts of crazy thoughts scamper through the mind.  My main effort is in making sure they scamper through and I do not encourage them by dwelling upon thoughts not grounded by faith in God.  There is no substitute for the pervasive peace and contentment which comes only from God.  Perfect love drives out all fear.  Because my family has been committed to God, I know they are in His hands.  I do not need to load myself down with the burden of worry.  By worrying I cannot add a centimeter to my height, nor can I protect my family from overseas.  I rejoice in knowing that God is able to do so!

Jesus says in Matthew 6:30-34:  "Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."  Christ intends we live a life without worry as we rest all our hopes and desires upon Him to faithfully fulfill His Word.  What have we to fear when we have such a Saviour and King?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)