02 September 2012

A Clean Heart

Ever since custodial duties were part of my job, my eyes are drawn to things many don't notice.  I would find myself wiping down sinks, mirrors, and toilets without even thinking.  Having a background in construction only adds to my unique observations.  I suppose even how Jason Bourne in the "Bourne" films was able to instantly observe intricate details of people in the room, places to hide a gun, and exit routes, I walk into a room and I'm quickly looking at carpet, the condition of the wax, the brush marks in the casing paint, and that a few florescent tubes are dead.  Instead of thinking about how to kill people or survive, I am constantly thinking about how things can be cleaned, fixed, or improved.  It's far safer and a much more wholesome lifestyle than being an assassin!

Cleaning tile or carpet is kind of like a new haircut:  only a few people will notice it without prompting.  And when they do, it will be two or three weeks after the fact!  With the help of a friend I recently stripped and waxed the tile floor at church.  Since I had seen the project all the way through, I was well aware of the total transformation which had taken place.  Supplies were purchased, stuff moved out of the way, and a machine was secured.  Over many hours the floor was stripped and carefully cleaned.  After everything was totally dry many coats of wax were applied to the surface, resulting in a beautiful finish.  It never ceases to bring a smile to my face when people walk all over the floor without even noticing it.  But when the "different" floor is brought to someone's attention, their eyes light up with amazement.  The floor is such a static fixture that even a large change in appearance can easily escape notice.

We have two white cars which have been in desperate need for a wash.  After Zed's indoor soccer game on Saturday, the boys and I washed our two family cars.  Being white in colour, it is amazing how well dirt can be hidden in plain view.  It was not until I began washing the car that I realised how dirty the cars really were!  We rubbed off the grime, cleaned the rims, rinsed off the car, and dried the water spots.  Our labour was richly rewarded with a sparkling result.  I wiped down the interior and was pleased with the result.  I don't know about you, but it actually feels great driving a clean car.  It is almost like sliding into a well-made bed when the crisp and fresh sheets are still taut, without a single wrinkle.  I asked Laura after she drove her car, "So, what was it like - driving a clean car?"  "I really didn't even notice," she said.  I thought to myself, how could you not notice the difference?

I think the cleaning of floors and cars are similar to the cleansing of our hearts in many respects.  First, cleaning is often neglected.  Even those who are mindful of the condition of their carpets, tiles, and cars are aware that cleaning is often overdue.  Another similarity is that we often don't realise how dirty, grimy, and gross they are until we have done a thorough clean.  Only after the clean can we with great appreciation step back and say, "Wow!  That was so dirty!  I'm so glad I took the time to do that!"  Because cleaning is a job never done, we can grow weary of doing it over and over again.  But there is great reward in faithful maintenance:  it is hygienic, prolongs the life of the paint and finish, shows discipline, responsibility, and good stewardship.  We Christians live in a polluted, dirty world.  Filthy thoughts and ideas, foul language, and the folly of the flesh cakes onto our souls.  When we have unnoticed or unconfessed sin in our hearts, it can cut us off from the presence of God.  We may not even notice the burden of sin under which we labour until we confess it before the LORD and repent.  Once that weight is lifted from our hearts we say, "Wow, it feels good to be clean and free!  I had no idea I was even in bondage!"

1 John 1:9 reads, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  Let's not neglect the cleaning of our hearts because it's been awhile since we did it last.  If we stay on top of cleaning, the job is easier to do.  If we keep careful watch over our hearts and minds by putting off the old man, being renewed in the spirit of our minds through God's Word, and putting on the new man, we will experience the victory Jesus has given freely to His disciples by grace through faith.  A man can clean up his deeds but cannot cleanse his heart.  Only God has the power to wash us in the blood of Christ and the water of the Word.  Only then can we be clean!  And what a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)