19 October 2013

Pain into Joy

God is able to redeem the pain of our lives.  Sometimes pain continues after the healing is over.  Our bodies are designed in an amazing fashion, able to adapt and compensate for injuries.  I have many injuries suffered years ago that I still feel every day.

During my years working with youth, I racked up all kinds of injuries.  Matt broke my left thumb with a small basketball during a dodge ball game.  My thumb still works, though it looks deformed and has limited movement.  Jason busted something in my right thumb during a football game.  This one is special because I have to adjust it multiple times a day.  I can get three to four cracks at a single time!  Kevin popped something in my right elbow when we were arm wrestling - and yes, it is sore especially after I pitch.  That was the day I retired completely from arm wrestling, a young man's game!  Brian chipped one of my teeth during a inflatable games jousting match, and I totally deserved that one.  When you give someone a "free shot," what can you expect?  Those are just the injuries that made the cut!

The funny thing is, I am not in the slightest mad at those who had a hand in breaking down my body a bit early.  I remember all those kids in the best light, happy for the times we spent together.  When I was feeling pain in my thumb today, it reminded me to pray for Jason.  Forget sticky notes or strings around the finger:  I have nerve endings as my reminders!  I am deeply grateful for the season of working with the youth at Calvary Chapel El Cajon, and I pray they would make a great impact on the world for God's glory.

Pain is a great reminder of our mortality and frailty.  As C.S. Lewis famously said, pain is God's megaphone and through it speaks loud and clear to hearts tuned by the Spirit.  I am grateful the reminders of fun times, wonderful friends, and God's sustaining grace through it all.  Only God can turn pain into joy without regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)