23 March 2015

Be Reconciled to God

"Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God. 21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."
2 Corinthians 5:20-21

When we moved into our current house over a year ago, it was not long before I realised something strange was happening in our shower.  It was most peculiar.  Over the years, a small gap had opened around the edge of the shower pan, and to my horror I discovered insects were living in there.  After a good clean, I began to notice thin black streaks on the tile.  One night I turned on the light and there were these tiny little bugs racing around in the shower.  I used bleach, I used toilet cleaner, anything to erradicate those dirty little pests.  Nothing worked as a long-term solution.

I decided to ask permission from our land lady to re-grout the gap.  I went to the shops and bought all the necessary supplies:  a tool to remove grout, bucket, float, new grout, and an additive.  For whatever reason, I didn't perform the repair right away.  Months passed as I was busy with other projects or activities.  With my knee rehab I wasn't keen to be kneeling in a small space.  But in all honesty, any reason I can provide is a lame excuse.  I half-heartedly kept up the losing battle with the shower bugs, but finally I was fed up.  "This weekend," I told Laura with fresh commitment, "I am going to fix our shower."

I had put off the task because replacing grout is a serious pain.  It is a tedious job on your hands and knees, removing the old grout, mixing the new grout to the correct consistency, spreading it evenly into the gaps, and wiping up the excess.  Oh the wiping!  Time after time I emptied the bucket and replaced it with clean water.  Again and again I passed the sponge over the tile, removing the cloudy haze from the glazed surface.  Finally it was complete, and I walked away satisfied the battle with the bugs was over.

When a job long put off is complete, a funny thing happens.  I look at the finished product and ask myself, why did I wait so long to finish this job?  I had all the materials, ability, and time:  why didn't I make this a priority months ago and begin to enjoy the beneficial results sooner?  The same can be true about sin in the life of a Christian.  Through faith in Christ, we have been freed from the power of sin.  Why do we put off being reconciled to God or others when it is so wonderful to finally be free of addictions, hatred, unforgiveness, and bitterness?  How is it we have the promises of God and the divine empowerment at our disposal with all the tools granted by God's grace, but we choose instead to keep fighting a spiritual battle through the efforts of the flesh?

I am very pleased to have a renewed shower, clean and free from the corrupting influence of those pesky insects.  How much more satisfying and pleasing it is when our lives are once again free from sin and aligned with God's will in obedience and fellowship?  Jesus has become sin for us so we might be the righteousness of God in Him.  Take to heart the exhortation of Paul today:  "Be reconciled to God."  Once we have confessed our sin, repented, and received Christ's forgiveness and liberty we will undoubtedly say, "Why didn't I do that sooner?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)