08 October 2015

Rest for Troubled Souls

I recently received word that my cousin Mike Anderson passed recently after a long battle with illness.  I am resigned to the fact God has me in Australia, though most of my family lives in the United States.  In times of tragedy I do wish I could support my cousin Mike and those grieving by fondly remembering his memory, going to the memorial service, and spending time with his friends and family.  It is in these trying times our perspective narrows to the things that matter most and draws us near to those we love.  Death has a way of centering us again, showing us how much we take for granted.

The last deathbed of a family member I had the privilege to attend was Mike's mother, Aunt Lynn.  I couldn't be there for Mike in his last days and hours, but I remember leaving work early to spend time with her and the family.  She knew her life was drawing to an end, and she requested that she be sent home to heaven with a happy gathering, singing songs to Jesus as the family had for her mum.  It was an experience I will never forget.

Aunt Lynn was lying on a hospital bed in the living room.  Many family members came to spend time with her, and I kissed her and held her hand.  We had a sweet talk.  I remember someone had thoughtfully put an Elvis DVD on TV, one of her favourites.  A priest came to administer her last rites when she was beginning to drift off into unconsciousness.  As her life slowly ebbed away with laboured breaths, it occurred to me:  there was no life in Elvis, no power in last rites.  The only hope and power Lynn had for eternal life was found through faith in Jesus Christ, the One who could take that tired, failing body and glorify it forever in His presence.

In his final months Mike wrote to me in an email the only reason why he was still around was because of Jesus, and Jesus is the only One who has the power to keep him from tasting death even after his body passed into eternity.  Jesus spoke of a man dead four days in John 11:23-26:  "Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." 24 Martha said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." 25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?"  Our bodies die because we are sinners, but those who believe in Jesus shall never die.  Bury our bodies six feet deep, but our souls will be clothed with immortality and be given a new body without sickness, pain, or sorrow.  This is the hope Jesus provides for everyone, purchased at the cost of His precious blood.

There's a lot of people today who say they hate themselves.  They live like gods, doing everything they feel like doing but still hate their life.  Well, God doesn't hate you.  He demonstrated His love for you by dying on a cross and proved His power to save you by Jesus rising from the dead.  Some people may think Mike was given a short straw by a harsh God because he faced debilitating pain and suffering for a great deal of his life which was over too soon.  I don't see it that way at all.  If that horrendous pain was the means necessary to open Mike's eyes to see his eternal need and soften his heart to receive the Gospel for eternal salvation, it was a healing balm for his soul and a path to everlasting peace.  Revelation 21:3-5 describes the scene for all who receive Christ as LORD and Saviour:  "And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." 5 Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful."

We only can "Rest in Peace" in this life and for eternity if during our earthly pilgrimage we decidedly take refuge in the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ.  Only in Jesus can a man find eternal rest for His soul (Matthew 11:19).

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)