20 October 2015

Israel, Rosemary, and Faith

Having just returned from Israel, my mind is a blur.  Some of it is fatigue, other due to travel and changing time zones, and jumbled reflections on my experience in the Holy Land.  Before I departed the plane on Australian soil this morning, I remembered a sprig of rosemary needed to be removed that I had placed in my Bible.  How I received that rosemary is a story all its own.

I have been down to the Western Wall on a couple occasions, but I had never ventured into the underground area heading north where men pray.  This area can be seen clearly from above by anyone who takes the Rabbinical Tunnel tour.  I didn't know if I was permitted in that area, but after I was assured it was alright I went in.  As soon as I entered, an Orthodox Jew (based upon his attire) greeted me and shook my hand - something I did not expect.  I do not know how strict the rules are concerning a Jew touching a Gentile these days, but his warm welcome was appreciated.

He asked me where I was from in a very friendly manner.  Then he began to show me around, pointing out various books in the bookshelves and spoke about the first and second temples which were destroyed.  He spoke of how he was looking expectantly for a third Temple to be built.   "That temple will endure forever," he said.  Then he told me I could write a prayer and place it in the cracks of the Western Wall, as many Jews believe it is a "red phone" or a direct line to an audience by God.

When he produced a pad and a pen, at that moment I began to be a bit suspicious this was going to end with being asked for money - but I went along anyway.  After my prayer was written and the pad and pen returned to their place within his coat, he opened a book which contained shekel bills of various denominations.  There is not supposed to be any "begging" in the controlled Western Wall area, but this man had worked out a way!  I'm not even sure what I donated towards, but it was done unto the LORD.  He suddenly whipped out a handful of rosemary, placed it upon my forehead, prayed a short prayer of blessing for my family, and then placed it in my hand.  His good deed done, he walked off and I never saw him again.

I asked our Israeli guide of the significance of rosemary, but he had never heard of it used in like manner before.  In Israel there is no shortage of sites and traditions which hold sway over people which are without power in themselves.  Rosemary has not miraculous healing properties, nor are prayers more likely answered when they are stuffed between stones.  I am amazed to the great lengths men will go to keep the Law according to the tradition of the sages, yet miss the spirit of the law entirely.  Jesus said men thought through study of the scriptures they would have eternal life, but all the scriptures pointed to Jesus whom they rejected.  The Jews are looking for rebuilding of the temple, but they are not looking for the Messiah who will reign as King and High Priest in the temple He builds.

On the train today I had a pleasant conversation with a woman who echoed sentiment I commonly hear along these lines:  "As long as faith in something helps you, it is a good thing to have.  A lot of people don't have faith in anything anymore."  I would answer:  everyone has faith in someone or something.  It is the focus of your faith that makes all the difference.  Many people today who had already made future plans died unexpectedly.  Jesus said of people of "faith" in John 16:2, "They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service."  Paul was a Pharisee who did this.  He persecuted Christians, believing God was pleased with his efforts and sacrifice.  But he was wrong.  People can place their faith in the wrong things because they are deceived.  Some people choose to be suicide bombers, believing it is a sure path to paradise, but wake up in a fiery hell.  It is only the Word of God applied by the Holy Spirit which enables us to discern lies and sort the humanistic chaff of this world from the meat of divine truth.

You can trust in rosemary to heal your body, bless your family, and forgive your sins, but those are mere fantasies without any factual basis.  This misguided faith is a waste.  Everyone trusts something, but only faith placed on Jesus Christ and the Word of God is proven, steadfast, and sure.  Man's interpretations and beliefs may change, yet the Word of God will endure forever.  Many "trustworthy" things like parachutes, airplanes, and trains have failed to carry their passengers safely to their destination, but God's love nor His Word ever fails.  God has not failed before, and He is absolutely trustworthy for the future.  Don't allow man's failures to keep you from trusting Jesus or deceive you to think all faith is as good as the next.  Faith according to correct knowledge is key!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)