23 December 2015

Why Me?

Last night the boys and I sat down to watch Marvel's "Captain America" starring Chris Evans.  In the film, Steven Rogers is a scrawny, sickly man with a courageous heart of gold.  He was chosen from a field of more physically eligible specimens by scientist Dr. Abraham Erskine to be the first subject for an experiment which could change the course of World War 2.  On the eve of the experiment, Dr. Erskine met with Steven for a drink.  Steven humbly asked one question of the doctor:  "Why me?"  He had been deemed unworthy so many times before he wondered what he possibly could have done to deserve such an opportunity, never dreaming he would become "Captain America."  His perspective throughout the film consistently placed others before himself.

"Why me?" isn't a question reserved for Hollywood productions.  It's likely a question we have felt more often then we vocalised.  When I worked in the shipyard, my work mates told me about a guy they nicknamed "Why Me?" because that was his response whenever tasked to do a job.  It seems to me this question was not motivated by humility, but self focus.  "Why Me?" always felt like he had drawn the short straw, and based upon his self-proclaimed skills and seniority surely he deserved better treatment!  There are therefore at least two ways to ask, "Why me?"  As I watched Captain America throw his shield around and beat up bad guys, my mind kept going back to the question he asked when he was scrawny Steve.  He was utterly unworthy, and he freely recognised this fact.  He was therefore able to appreciate the gift of strength and ability like few others.

Steve's question echoed that of David concerning his God.  David wrote in Psalm 8:4, "What is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him?"  In a sense David mused, "God you are so mighty and powerful - why us?  Why would you even care?"  Gideon also had this same perspective of God and his unworthiness.  After the LORD revealed Gideon was the one He had chosen to deliver the Hebrews from the Midianites, Gideon said in Judges 6:15, "O my Lord, how can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house."  Gideon wondered, "Why me?  How could I save Israel?"  On the other side of the coin, we have Cain, the selfish, unrepentant murderer of his brother Abel.  When God confronted Cain, he denied knowledge of where his brother was!  Upon hearing of his punishment for his crimes, he said in Genesis 4:13, "My punishment is greater than I can bear!"  Another "me" centred person in scripture is Esau.  After Esau's birthright and blessing went to his younger twin Jacob, he wept with tears:  "Bless me also!"  All the while the desire to murder his brother festered in his heart.

The heart with which we ask the question to God "Why me?" says something about our spiritual condition before Him.  Those with humility place their emphasis on "WHY" and those who remain unrepentant in pride emphasise "ME!"  God is not averse to answering "why" questioned grounded in faith in Him, but He also knows those focused on "me" will not receive His answer.  He cast pearls of wisdom before those who will only trample it underfoot.  How do you ask the question?  We are all unworthy of God's love and blessings.  The answer to that question cannot be based in me or anything men have done, but solely due to God's greatness and goodness.  Every blessing is of grace, and praise Him for being so mindful of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)