16 February 2016

Mr. Dan Wilson, My Friend

I am blessed as a Christian to be part of the body of Christ.  When God enlarges your heart with His love the circle of ones deeply loved extend far beyond the reaches of immediate family.  The connection made by Christ binds us with pure desire and mutual affection not only on this planet but for all eternity.  Moving overseas causes this circle to grow as your life begins to intertwine with others.  Distance, however, does bring hindrances.  No longer can I just drop by my parent's home, watch my nephews and nieces grow, or maintain family traditions I always enjoyed.  Life moves on at a frantic pace, and during my time in Australia life on earth for many of my dear friends has ended unexpectedly.

Yesterday I received word that one of my childhood friends, Dan Wilson, has passed away into eternity.  When I say childhood friend, you might suppose Dan was my age.  Dan was actually older than my dad, one of the very few adults I could ever call a friend of mine as a young boy.  I cannot say I have ever known a more kind and thoughtful man than Dan.  We had a point of connection he never forgot:  we shared the same birthdate, and I was told many times 29 August was the greatest day on the calendar to have a birthday.  For many years we attended the same church, and Dan always made a point to wish me a happy birthday and made me feel special even when our birthday was months away.

My favourite memory of Dan was when he and my dad were challenged by three older teenage boys to a wrestling match on the lawn in front of the church after evening service.  We kids ran around and gathered all our friends to witness the bout.  The anticipation and excitement was electric, and everyone was picking their winners.  For all the build up, the match was almost anticlimactic as the old timers demolished the competition.  My dad when in for a double-leg take-down and knocked the wind out of the oldest boy and rendered him incapacitated, and Dan in seconds had the other boy pinned on his back.  The third boy, seeing what happened to his cousins - with a hint of terror in his eyes - practically ran away when Dan with a wide grin pursued him.  Dan and my dad gained a bit of respect that night...from me, anyway. :)

When I heard of Dan's passing, I admit I selfishly wished he had not left this world so soon.  I so enjoy our chats and seeing him smile, and he has a way with that carne asada!  Dan had a huge heart, a ready smile, and gave for the good of others.  As I grieved I said, "Lord, I really would have liked to see Dan again."  And instantly I remembered that I will see him again in a place without pain, sorrow, suffering, or death, in a place in God's presence where Dan is rejoicing right now.  Praise the LORD for the consolation we have been given in Christ, that the death of the body for Christians is the gateway to eternal joy and happiness.  Our Saviour Jesus Christ said in John 11:25-26, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?"  The resurrection of Lazarus and Jesus reveals the reality for all who repent and trust in Jesus.  He hasn't just pinned death to the ground, but He has killed it.  Thank you LORD Jesus for the hope we have in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)