20 September 2016

Jesus Found Me

Last evening I began reading Magnificent Obsession:  Why Jesus is Great by David Robertson.  It is a series of letters he wrote in stating why belief in Jesus Christ is a viable, rational faith based upon factual evidence.  In a logical manner, the well-read Robertson expresses thoughts on this critically important and complex subject in a way easily understood.  I am glad God has gifted people who are perfectly suited for intellectual debate and Robertson provides a good mix of theology, practical examples, and thoughtful quotes with a little humour sprinkled in.  So many times Christians make claims or answer questions no one is asking, and this book is a good reminder to actively engage people with different beliefs with a receptive and willing mind.  We can be so focused on trying to hammer scriptural truth into someone else we don't listen.  Robertson listens carefully and then is able to answer succinctly with grace and wisdom.

I once went on an evangelistic outreach to Seattle, Washington with a group of people gathered from all over the States.  It was an opportunity to be challenged and stretched in sharing the Gospel to groups or one-to-one.  There was a real push to spread the Gospel to as many people as possible:  the theory seemed to be the more seed scattered, the more potential fruit.  This impersonal approach didn't work for me.  Speaking for myself, I am more capable and willing to listen to people I don't know when a rapport has developed.  This doesn't need to take a long time, but if I sense a person is giving me a pitch, preoccupied with selling me their product, or is only talking to me because of a "business opportunity," I switch off.  When people are genuine with me and are willing to take time with actual dialogue - a logical exchange of ideas without a subversive agenda - an intellectual conversation is a fun, enjoyable experience for all.

One of the indelible memories I have of the outreach experience was a street preacher who traveled from Minnesota.  I walked past him near a fountain in an open area and there he was, bellowing at the top of his lungs - to no one.  There was not anyone visibly engaged with his words, and a sleepy dog laying nearby gave him more attention than any person.  People walked quickly past him as he said his rehearsed piece.  I will never forget the image:  the passionate man shouting at no one from a small stepladder, totally disengaged from the people he desperately wanted to reach who themselves were desperate to move as far away from him as possible.  I bet the gentleman was a lovely guy.  I would have liked to have talked with him over a meal.  I do not judge the man for doing what he felt was right, but I decided I would not adopt such an impersonal approach.  Jesus spoke to people one-to-one, and He also taught crowds of people who flocked to hear Him.  He spoke to listeners.  It was not volume or intelligence but Christ's love, authority, and the confirmation of the miraculous which attracted people who were interested to hear what He had to say.

In the introduction of the book, Robertson used a neat analogy of how a person seeks God but in reality it is He who finds us.  I could relate to the example because I had experienced it myself.  When I flew into Cambodia, I had no idea what the pastor looked like who was picking up our team at the airport.  I had attached a photo of me in an email, so hopefully the pastor would recognise me!  We walked through a line of people holding signs but I didn't see anything familiar.  Finally we decided to sit down outside the terminal and the pastor found us!  We were looking for him, but he found us.  Robertson writes of meeting strangers at the airport, "You have been looking for them, but they are also looking to reveal themselves to you.  That is what Jesus does.  He is the One we are looking for, and He is the One who is looking for us.  He brings enlightenment - He is after all, the light of the world." (Robertson, David. Magnificent Obsession: Why Jesus Is Great. N.p.: n.p., n.d. 21. Print.)  We are called as Christians to introduce people to Jesus, explain who He is and what He has done, and teach people to follow Him.  Introductions are personal and friendly, and that is how we should introduce people to Jesus.  Jesus found me, and He truly is magnificent!

If you have questions about Jesus Christ or are interested to know more about Him, I would love to correspond with you.  Comment on this post and include an email address (I will not publish!) and I will respond when possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)