16 October 2016

Worthy of Worship

It's not every day I am excited about a scientific discovery, but the most recent revelation from NASA has kept me happy for days.  In the 1990's - not the 1890's - it was estimated there were about 200 billion galaxies in the known universe.  Well, according to most recent data, those facts were only 10% correct:  it turns out there is in excess of 10 times more galaxies than previously estimated.  This is mind boggling, right?  If there are estimated to be 2 trillion galaxies now, imagine what a more accurate count might be in twenty years' time!

Now I am not saying the original estimate was "wrong," because the estimate was simply that - an estimate.  But when I hear a highly-touted "landmark" study being 90% off from what we now know is a more accurate estimate based on factual evidence, it only increases my faith in God and the Bible.  I would never consider myself among the "best and brightest" and I certainly have no scientific credentials, yet I am an avid observer of scientific discoveries and have a long memory.  I have seen the estimated age of our universe grow almost three-fold since my childhood.  Now I have seen this new study improve on twenty-five-year data by 90%!  Based on the evidence, would it be wiser to trust the best estimates of men or the unchanging truth of God?

God created man to reason, with creativity and curiosity.  Curious minds want to know and study everything they can.  We love puzzles, games, thought-provoking stories, and exploration.  We all want to know more about the world we live in:  are there any out there who want to know more about the God who made it?  God hasn't told us how old the universe is, and I suspect in the light of eternity it really doesn't matter.  Even if it did matter, God is under no obligation to tell us!  But praise God He does speak, He does not change, and His Word will endure forever.  The scientific community seems to worship facts, but when the facts change are they still worthy of worship?

I don't presume to know when God created the heavens and the earth, but I am convinced He did.  If I knew the tune I would sing along with the elders in Revelation 4:11, "You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)