22 January 2017

God Hears Your Cry

Today the LORD had encouragement for me from the book of Genesis.  The portion I read was when Hagar and Ishmael were sent away by Abraham with bread and a skin of water.  They wandered around in the wilderness of Beersheba until the water was gone.  It says in Genesis 21:15-16, "And the water in the skin was used up, and she placed the boy under one of the shrubs. 16 Then she went and sat down across from him at a distance of about a bowshot; for she said to herself, "Let me not see the death of the boy." So she sat opposite him, and lifted her voice and wept."  I will admit this part is not very uplifting.  It is a sad picture of a dying child and a hopeless mother all alone in a wilderness.  Yet it is in the midst of this confronting and tragic scene God graciously revealed Himself.

Hagar placed Ishmael in the shade, a boy of around 13 years old.  Not wanting to see him die of thirst, she separated herself to a distance where she could not hear his whimpering.  It was just too much.  She broke down in tears, wailing for her son and their impossible situation.  Then Genesis 21:17 tells us, "And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, "What ails you, Hagar? Fear not, for God has heard the voice of the lad where he is."  Following the flow of the passage this verse is a surprise.  Verse 16 said Hagar lifted her voice and wept, and verse 17 says God heard the voice of the lad.  Hagar distanced herself from the cries of her son, but God heard him right where he was.  Hagar couldn't bear to bring herself to be where Ishmael was because of her inability to help him, but God heard him and would help him.  He opened Hagar's eyes to see a well of water, and she filled the skin with water and gave it to her son.

At times I have been in the sandals of Hagar and Ishmael.  I have felt powerless to help others who are in a perilous and dreadful condition.  I have also felt like everyone is at a distance, unable to help or understand what I was going through.  But even when it seems we are all alone and without hope or help, when we cry to God He will hear us and respond to our cries.  God was a well-spring of life Hagar didn't perceive in her pain, like the well of water which was there from the beginning.  He will provide miraculous salvation and deliverance, for He opens our eyes to His gracious supply.  He also brings other people along to help us in times of trouble, and we too can be useful vessels to share His love with others.  This passage shows us there is always hope for the person who cries out to God.

Psalm 61:1-4 says, "Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer. 2 From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 3 For You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy. 4 I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah"  Sometimes we can speak or shout and not be heard.  Our words can fall on ears incapable of understanding and people we look to for help are without any power to save us.  Let us ensure we cry out to the LORD in prayer, for He alone is able to deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)