05 January 2018

Being Changed

There are times when we recognise a personal need to change, but this knowledge does not provide the ability to change.  On the strength of our resolve anyone can adapt their behaviour to various degrees, yet on the inside we remain the same people we always were.  This is one thing God can and will do in the lives of Christians:  He changes us from the inside.

Because we have been painting the bathroom, bottles of shampoo are not in their usual place.  The other day when I picked on up a bottle, I rapped my head on the fixed soap holder in the shower.  I instinctively said, "Ouch!" but I instantly discerned something was different inside me.  Years ago when I would hit my head or injured myself there would often be a flash of temper, an inner rage that surged energy into my limbs and widened my eyes.  During my life I have typically been able to "control" my temper, but it was a conscious act of the will.  When I hit my head and did not feel the familiar stirring of the flesh, and despite the discomfort of my head I rejoiced.  God opened my eyes to recognise this clear evidence He is indeed changing me.

These inner changes are a marvellous way God works in those who are born again through faith in Jesus.  The One who provides the awareness of our sinful flesh and the power of self-control also can change the way we think and feel.  He is able to transform us so we can rejoice despite pain because He has continued to shape the way we respond to problems.  He puts a love in our hearts for people years ago we would have avoided.  He opens our eyes to see our need for Him in more areas of our lives still, keeping us from pride and arrogance.  Our tendencies become more aligned with His righteous character.  Instead of reacting the way we always have or fighting to subdue the flesh, the power of the Spirit shines through with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control.

Religion is something many people work at, but a relationship with the Almighty God through faith in Jesus means He begins to work inside us to make us new.  Jesus is able to heal, deliver, restore, save, strengthen, and help us because He is the living God.  There is no heart too hard or mind too stubborn He cannot change.  The God who brings all sin to light is able to overcome and stamp out the most habitual sins and transform us into His image.  God used a little thing like bumping my head to provide insight into the miraculous work He is doing in my life, and He also wants to work in your life in ways you cannot imagine for good.  Seeing this has caused me to pray for more changes, and I know in His time these prayers will be answered according to His Word because He is trustworthy.

Praise the LORD who changes us for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)