09 January 2018

Cull Those Complaints!

All people naturally have sinful tendencies and habits.  Even after we are spiritually born again life goes on in the confines of our body of flesh.  There are plenty of things we realise are sinful and displeasing to God, but there are other things which fly under our moral radar.  We are not even aware of how often we sin until God opens our eyes to see!

One thing I want to cull from my life is the tendency to complain.  Complaints may be exceedingly common and seemingly innocent, but the basis of complaining is a focus on self, a lack of acknowledgement of God's power and sovereignty, and vocal displeasure for all to hear.  It is one thing to pour out our complaints before God, but it is another thing to complain to others about our circumstances God has allowed.  Complaining is often a parade of selfishness.

Just last night I read of an occasion after God delivered the children of Israel from slavery in Egypt in Numbers 11:1-3: "Now when the people complained, it displeased the LORD; for the LORD heard it, and His anger was aroused. So the fire of the LORD burned among them, and consumed some in the outskirts of the camp. 2 Then the people cried out to Moses, and when Moses prayed to the LORD, the fire was quenched. 3 So he called the name of the place Taberah, because the fire of the LORD had burned among them."  If there was ever a passage in scripture which vividly portrays God's displeasure and swift judgment for complaining, this is it.  God's people complained about all sorts of things:  lack of water, the food God supplied, that Moses took too much responsibility upon himself, that God led them through the wilderness, the threat of enemies, and on.

This passage does not tell us exactly what the people complained about, but it does say God was displeased when He heard their complaints.  Did you know complaining displeases God?  His anger burned against them and fire consumed some in the outskirts of the camp.  Moses interceded on behalf of the people when they cried out to him, and the fire was quenched.  The place was named "Taberah" or burning because God's fire had burned among them.  The lesson for me?  When I murmur against God or complain to others, God hears and it is displeasing to Him.  To this day by the grace of God I have not been consumed in flames because I am certainly guilty!  It is hard to complain without saying something, and therefore how wise it is for us to guard our hearts, minds, and mouths.  I imagine complaining is a habit in varying degrees for everyone, but it is one we ought to spare no effort to break.  Complaining is evidence something is very wrong in the heart.

David wrote in Psalm 142:1-2 how he directed his complaints not to men but to God:  "I cry out to the LORD with my voice; with my voice to the LORD I make my supplication. 2 I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare before Him my trouble."  It is a good question to ask:  am I complaining to someone who can do anything about my problem?  Because God cares for us He invites us to cast our cares upon Him.  Pouring our complaints or venting our frustrations upon other people suggests we have not taken the matter sufficiently before God.  Once we have cast our cares upon Him, complaints will be replaced with praise for the One who loves and cares for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)