11 February 2018

The Sin of Dread

I was impacted recently by words David spoke to his son Solomon.  The passage of God's Word exposed my own sin, bringing to light a connection I was previously blind to.  This revelation also illustrates the power of words, how we can use them to justify ourselves.  An Australian politician recently said, "I'm not a saint" yet this is hardly a revelation.  This statement really says nothing because most everyone would also say it of themselves.  Had he said, "I am a liar and an adulterer" that is saying something!

Christians know they shouldn't worry, so some will avoid saying they are worrying.  They will use a different word, like they are "concerned."  Christians also know they should not be afraid because God commands us to "Fear not!" and trust Him.  Joshua, Solomon, and many others in scripture were told to "Fear not" because it was their natural tendency.  Guess what?  It is our tendency too - and that includes me.

See what David said to Solomon, the man called and chosen by God to be king of Israel and to build the Temple in Jerusalem in 1 Chronicles 22:11-13:  "Now, my son, the LORD be with thee; and prosper thou, and build the house of the LORD thy God, as he hath said of thee. 12 Only the LORD give thee wisdom and understanding, and give thee charge concerning Israel, that thou mayest keep the law of the LORD thy God. 13 Then shalt thou prosper, if thou takest heed to fulfil the statutes and judgments which the LORD charged Moses with concerning Israel: be strong, and of good courage; dread not, nor be dismayed."  There are two words David used in the KJV which are often translated "fear" or "afraid" in the Bible:  dread and being dismayed.

I would not claim to be afraid often, but dread?  Dread is a kind of fear repackaged without traditional warning signs of sin.  The Strong's Concordance explains being "dismayed" as "to break down in confusion or fear."  It took reading the Word of God applied by the Holy Spirit to discern fear I didn't know I had in the form of dread and being dismayed.  There are plenty of things I can honestly say I dread, so I was led to confess my sin and begin viewing dread as sinful fear.  It is lovely when God destroys strongholds in an instant which have held our minds and hearts hostage for as long as we can remember.  The God who exposes sin is able to cleanse us and liberate us from bondage, releasing us to praise and serve the LORD like never before.

Praise the LORD that dread now has a recognisable face, like a criminal caught in the act on film.  Never again need I be terrorised with dread because I have been provided the victory through my Saviour.  How about you?  Does dread have a place in your heart or life?  When we repent and trust God we too can be strong and of good courage as Solomon was, and God gave him great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)