28 May 2018

The Book of Praise

I have been reading through books by A.W. Tozer recently and one thing he strongly recommended was the benefit of old hymnals.  He asserted hymns of old were packed with solid theology and were indispensable in private worship.  I thought about what he said and realised among my books I didn't have a hymnal.  So I checked out a website based in Australia which sells rare or out of print books and came across The Book of Praise, selections of English hymn writers by Roundell Palmer in 1867.  When I opened it I discovered the very first hymn is notable among my all-time favourites:  "How Great Thou Art" by Bishop Reginald Heber penned in 1827.

One of the first things I do when I buy a used book is as I flip through to fix all dog-eared pages.  The book is not in the best condition, but it undoubtedly will be a great tool and blessing in drawing near to God.  In the heart of every child of God there is a longing to draw near to the LORD in prayer and praise, and though no substitute for scripture good books can be useful to facilitate this.  May the books we read mark our lives with praise of God!  As I smoothed out the largest dog-ear, I read through a song I will share with you by Charlotte Elliott, written in 1834.  On pages 346-347 it is simply titled, "CCCXXVIII" or "328":

With tearful eyes I look around;
Life seems a dark and stormy sea;
Yet midst the gloom I hear a sound, 
A heavenly whisper, Come to Me!

It tells me of a place of rest;
It tells me where my soul may flee:
Oh! to the weary, faint, opprest,
How sweet the bidding, Come to Me!

When the poor heart with anguish learns
That earthly props resign'd must be,
And from each broken cistern turns,
It hears the accents, Come to Me!

When against sin I strive in vain, 
And cannot from its yoke get free,
Sinking beneath the heavy chain,
The words arrest me, Come to Me!

When nature shudders, loth to part
From all I love, enjoy, and see;
When a faint chill steals o'er my heart,
A sweet voice utters, Come to Me!

Come, for all else must fail and die;
Earth is no resting place for thee;
Heavenward direct thy weeping eye;
I am thy Portion; Come to Me!

O voice of mercy, voice of love!
In conflict, grief and agony,
Support me, cheer me from above, 
And gently whisper, Come to me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)