12 June 2018

Friend or Client?

I remember the event very clearly:  a former co-worker (who had never once been to my house before) showing up at my door unannounced at 8pm, and it was the first time I had ever seen this man in a suit.  I was happy to see my friend, but my heart sunk when he awkwardly explained how he wanted to sell me something.  I can't explain the depth of disappointment, a feeling I can only describe as betrayal.  Friendship had been exchanged for the meagre gain of financial profit, and sadly the situation has been repeated many times - and every time it hurt.  Worse than being friend-zoned is when you are reduced to clientele.  It is true clients can later become friends, but to cross the line from friend to client jeopardises the quality of the relationship.

My intent is not to blast people who are trying to earn an honest living or feel social media is a ideal platform for free advertising.  But the willingness to leverage friendship for the opportunity of personal financial gain or to risk endangering it - regardless of the "benefits" you offer or products you swear by - is an awful, regrettable choice.  I would rather a friend who is struggling financially to ask me directly for money than try to sell me something or make me part of their diversified revenue stream.  It is no wonder some in the quest for wealth treat friendship with utilitarian disdain, for the lure of riches causes people to err from the right way.  Paul warned of the love of money in 1 Timothy 6:10: "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."  Greed pierces those guilty of it, and their targets can be wounded as well.

I urge you therefore, brothers and sisters, to value friendship rather than potentially sacrificing friendship on the altar of financial gain.  Greed can build walls between close friends and endanger the relationship once enjoyed.  Better to have a loyal, trusted friend than a client.  If you are willing to risk friendship for money, don't be surprised when friendships start drying up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)