15 June 2018

Glancing or Gazing?

Last night at youth my wife Laura shared an observation from a book:  in museums and art galleries there are often glancers and gazers.  Some are so intent on seeing everything they breeze through the exhibits, perhaps only briefly pausing for something which catches their interest.  The visit to the museum is a task to be completed, and with the aim of seeing everything possible only a cursory glance will do.  For gazers, however, spending quality time with a work of art cannot be rushed. They are content to contemplatively view a painting from various angles for hours.  They can be seen sitting or standing staring at the canvas, even writing down notes.  The glancers think of such people, "What are they looking at?  What of interest can they see in that?  Am I missing something?"

If I must choose a side which fits my natural bent, I tend toward the glancing side.  I am largely a destination oriented person.  Scenery is nice, but it isn't worth stopping the car which slows progress toward my intended destination.  At the same time, I would rather spend more time in the Australian War Memorial or Yad Vashem (World Holocaust Remembrance Center in Isarel) than rush through.  I am not a big art fan, but I believe the memory of people ought to be remembered and honoured.  I find the tales of courage, bravery, and sacrifice move my heart and sober my mind, and in that environment one must walk slowly and think deeply.  When I am rushed my feet move but my heart remains unmoved.

A good question to consider:  how do you approach the reading of the Bible?  It is God's Word written to us, and our familiarity with the text or our aim to tick "Bible reading" or "devotions" from our daily checklist can make us glancers rather than gazers.  Glancers are off to the next verse so quick they don't think deeply about what God is saying or how it applies to their own life.  I think everyone can fall into the habit of glancing rather than gazing and grazing on the good Word, giving time for our minds and hearts to digest all the LORD is saying.  As a cow is content to stand and chew its cud for a good part of the day, our engagement with the messages in God's Word be similar.  It is one thing to hear the Word or read it, but another thing to take it personally.

Reading the Word is most profitable and necessary, and it is intended - more than viewing art or visiting a memorial - to not only move us but change us.  Reading the Bible is not the end in itself, but to transport us into the presence of the Living God.  People can be emotionally moved by beautiful songs and artwork; they can shed tears as they feel the pain and loss of victims of war.  Many things in this world are designed to transport us somewhere physically or emotionally, and God has provided us His Word to move our hearts towards Him, to cause our gaze to be fixed upon Him.  We are rarely moved at a glance, but when our hearts and minds are engaged to consider and think deeply we can be drawn into the very presence of God.  Let the Word do its work in your heart and mind to transport you, and as we gaze on our Saviour may our hearts be moved to praise and worship Him in Spirit and truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)