06 August 2019

"The Third Option" by Miles McPherson

Yesterday I finished The Third Option by Miles McPherson, pastor of the Rock Church in San Diego, California.  It was a thoroughly engaging, thought-provoking read.  Living as an immigrant and now dual-citizen of Australia gave me much more to consider than simply race relations in the United States, as a person who identifies as White living as a foreigner.  Here it is not so much the colour of my skin but my birthplace and accent which sets me apart.

The primary value of the book for me was to explore my own biases regarding identity and race.  Growing up I always felt like my perspective didn't matter because I was part of the privileged majority who could never understand or appreciate the struggles of others.  Maybe all that is true.  But praise be to God all people can be loving, gracious, and accepting of others on account of how God has accepted us.  Living in a foreign land has taught me many valuable lessons, enriched my life, and given me empathy for "outsiders" I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Most people would not admit to being racist, but Miles talks about how everyone has "racial conversations" in our own heads.  This may show itself in us intentionally avoiding a conversation about race because we don't want to appear racist or offend!  Without thought we naturally categorise people based upon their appearance, language, dress, or ethnicity.  A lot of what we think we know about other people or cultures is based upon a minuscule sample size or from what we have heard--not from firsthand experience through immersion in a culture.  I can't tell you how many times I have heard Aussie slang, figured it was common, and used it myself only to be met with confused expressions by other true-blue Aussies!  It wasn't because they didn't understand what I said, but they literally hadn't heard the term used ever before.

Finally, the book brought up something which had been unwittingly weighing on my conscience.  When I was a kid I made a racist and degrading comment to a member of my extended family.  I wondered at the conscience God has given us, for God has put within us the capacity to remember a sentence or word we spoke 30 years ago which was hurtful to others and displeasing to God.  I was wounded in remembering what I said and the tears flowed.  Praise the LORD He brings our sin to mind so we can repent of it, ask for forgiveness, and be reconciled with God and others.  It is a privilege to be reconciled to God and people we have wounded, whether by ignorance or malice.  Words have an incredible capacity to wound or to edify.  If we have used our words to hurt or tear others down, it is in humbling ourselves before God and man in repentance which results in restoration and encouragement for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)