05 April 2020

Vitality of the Vine

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."
John 15:4-5

When my dad taught me to ride a bike my parents gave me for my birthday, a point came when his hand was removed from bike and I was on my own.  It was up to me to keep my balance, steer, and apply the brakes as needed.  This is not the model Jesus gave to His disciples, nor the pattern for any of God's people in scripture.  The people of God have always needed to be dependent upon God for the ability to do all He has said.  The picture Jesus supplied of our relationship with God is the connection between the vine and branches.  The vitality of the vine extends into the branches and that is the only way the branches can be fruitful, and it is our connection with Jesus which gives us life, wisdom, and power to do good.

God told Joshua on the border of the promised land, "Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and of good courage."  God met with Gideon in Judges 6:14 which states, "Then the LORD turned to him and said, "Go in this might of yours, and you shall save Israel from the hand of the Midianites. Have I not sent you?"  Gideon didn't understand:  he protested he was of a poor family and the least in his father's house.  The might of Gideon was not based upon his tribe, monetary wealth, or political pull but was in God who was with Him!  David was not proud to imagine he could fight with lion, bear, or Philistine but his God had given him the victory.  Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego stood calmly before furious King Nebuchadnezzar and said as the furnace was heated seven times hotter, "Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us."  This courage, boldness, and power to overcome comes from God alone in the Old and New Testament.

The Great Commission was often put to me in my youth as something all followers of Jesus needed to do in Matthew 28:19-20:  "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen."  Since verse 19 begins with therefore, why and how shall we go?  Matthew 28:18 makes all the difference:  "And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth."  Because Jesus has all authority and is with us we are enabled to do what He says.  The connection between Jesus and doing His work is also seen as Paul wrote in Philippians 2:12-13:  "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure."  See, we aren't alone!  Even when we are separated from other people, we are able to do good works because God is already at work in us.

Our ability to do what God directs us is not then based on our ability but connectivity with God, that we are walking in humble reliance upon Him.  This is more than availability, for the branch grows out of the vine as an extension of itself.  Even so the resurrected life of Jesus Christ is lived out through us when we die to self, take up our cross daily, and follow our risen LORD.  Paul wrote in Philippians 4:11-13:  "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  As Paul pointed out, the ability to be content and walk in the Spirit is a learning process.  Our spiritual regeneration is not some sort of magic which compels us to lay down our will and experience perfect peace in all situations.  We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, and continual communion with Him is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)