24 June 2020

On Being An Ally

One term I have heard often lately is the importance of being an "ally" to others.  Covenant Eyes, a screen accountability service, also uses the term for people to whom personal internet browsing data is sent to support and encourage healthy internet habits.  Alliances among nations and rulers unites separate groups with the aim to accomplish a goal together.  Both a verb and a noun, the term "ally" is defined as a noun by the Merriam-Webster dictionary in this way:  "a sovereign or state associated with another by treaty or league; one that is associated with another as a helper : a person or group that provides assistance and support in an ongoing effort, activity, or struggle."

Being an ally to support others in their struggles is a noble cause, but the term to me is impersonal and falls short of the ideal:  by their very nature alliances are created due to a cause or joint pursuit rather than the love of people.  Alliances are utilitarian and should the aim be achieved a new cause must rise up to maintain unity.  Alliances enable sovereignty a superficial unity whist enabling permanent separation to exist between the various groups.  These are the the thoughts which spring up in my mind when I hear of my responsibility to be an ally of people who suffer racial discrimination.  At best being an ally is a start but not a satisfactory conclusion for my role in the lives of others because it falls woefully short of the love of God.  More than an ally, I desire is to be a faithful friend to a person who has intrinsic value in themselves.

These musings caused me to consider if I live as a friend of God or I see Him as my divine ally to help me accomplish my aims.  It is possible those who believe in God to seek His power in a utilitarian way rather than humbling ourselves before our sovereign God as His servants.  God is much more than an ally who has power to stop bullies, judge abusers, or overthrow corrupt governments.  Jesus called His followers friends, even as Abraham was called a friend of God because of his faith and obedience.  John 15:12-15 says, "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you."  Jesus died for sinners and was proved to be their friend by His sacrifice and revelation of divine truth.

The love of God is foreign to this world of alliances, causes, and shifting sands of culture.  God's love and grace is extended to all people of every tribe, nation, and tongue.  God created us for relationship with Him and one another united by His love, joy, peace, and grace.  Jesus did not help us obtain forgiveness and salvation and then take little notice of us until our next struggle:  it is we who are guilty of doing this with Him.  Being an ally to help others in a worthy cause is great, but being a friend to others like Jesus is to us is far better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)