24 October 2020

Jesus and His Reward

"And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work."
Revelation 22:12

Woolworths has a program called "Everyday Rewards" which allows shoppers to scan a card to "earn" rewards.  For me, scanning my card for purchases saves a small amount of petrol and provides a $10 credit I can use to buy groceries.  It is relatively painless trade-off which provides benefits which are better than nothing. :)

Jesus told His followers He is coming quickly and His reward is with Him.  Upon Jesus' return to earth He will establish His kingdom, will judge His enemies and reward His servants.  The words of Christ give me cause to pause and wonder:  do I value Jesus and the rewards He offers by His grace as much as He loves me?  When I was young in the faith, the idea of reaping eternal, heavenly rewards drove me to service and self-denial, but at the core of this was selfishness.  I wanted to be a standout; I wanted accolades and riches for myself.  At some point I realised this was wrong and the pendulum swings toward the opposite extreme.  I was quite content with Jesus and the everlasting life He promised and was pleased to be accepted by Him--reward or not.

This view masked a false humility, a hidden arrogance seen in the servant who hid his master's mina in a handkerchief.  If we are called to desire the best spiritual gifts Jesus offers now according to His will (which will pass away), should I curtly dismiss the rewards Jesus has promised to give us for eternity?  While it is true we should value the Giver over the gift, let us not count His gifts as nothing.  In offering a gift God is glorified, and when we humbly receive a gift it is also for His glory for we ourselves are not our own.  Rewards received from God cannot be earned:  these are gifts according to the goodness of our God He delights to offer and we are privileged to use for His benefit.

Jesus did not hide the fact our service unto the LORD now will result in heavenly rewards and benefits.  We know it is wise to plan ahead for our future on earth, and it is even more sensible to lay up treasures in heaven because our affections rest on God who dwells there. Those who walk by faith and not by sight will be rewarded in this life and eternal life to come as it is written in Hebrews 11:5-6, "By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, "and was not found, because God had taken him"; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. 6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."  Faith exercised in obedience to God pleases Him and such He will reward with abundant life now and forever.  With our eyes fixed on the LORD Jesus, let us acknowledge His faithfulness to graciously reward those who diligently seek Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)