28 February 2022

Our Miraculous Helper

Genuine faith in God is established in knowing Him and what He has done.  Those who are convinced of God's power displayed in creation and salvation are enabled to rely upon Him presently.  Psalm 121:2-3 says, "My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. 3 He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber."  God's miraculous power demonstrated by making the heaven and earth reveals His timeless wisdom, authority and strength.  He Who made us can help us, and He is our only Hope.

Psalm 121 clearly connects the miraculous deeds God has done to helping us today and for the future because He is eternal.  He made the earth long ago and helps us now; He will not allow our feet to be moved.  God in His wisdom established the earth on nothing, and nothing is hard for a God who can conceive, design and order such things.  Placing our faith in God as revealed in the Bible who created us and helps us is the most intelligent, wise thing a man can do.  It is faith in God that opens our eyes to see our need for Him and how He has ever been faithful to meet those needs even before we thought to ask.

Recently I read an amusing anecdote from G.K. Chesterton:
"It is assumed that the sceptic has no bias; whereas he has a very obvious bias in favour of scepticism.  I remember once arguing with an honest young atheist, who was very much shocked at my disputing some of the assumptions which were absolute sanctities to him (such as the quite unproved proposition of the independence of matter and the quite improbable proposition of its power to originate mind), and he at length fell back upon this question, which he delivered with an honourable heat of defiance and indignation:  "Well, can you tell me any man of intellect, great in science or philosophy, who accepted the miraculous?"  I said, "With pleasure.  Descartes, Dr. Johnson, Newton, Faraday, Newman, Gladstone, Pasteur, Browning, Brunetiere--as many more as you please."  To which that quite admirable and idealistic young man made this astonishing reply - "Oh, but of course they had to say that; they were Christians."  First he challenged me to find a black swan, and then he ruled out all my swans because they were black.  The fact that all these great intellects had come to the Christian view was somehow or other a proof either that they were not great intellects or that they had not really come to that view.  The argument thus stood in a charmingly convenient form:  "All men that count have come to my conclusion; for it they come to your conclusion they do not count." (Chesterton, G. K. All Things Considered. CreateSpace, 2018. page 103)

There are sceptics who prefer speculation over established facts, sceptics who are ignorant of something, and sceptics because they want to be.  There are many things in this world of which I am sceptical because I do not trust the source or that it is in my best interest according to what I already know.  When foreign students came to my front door selling "original" artwork I was very sceptical because I know quality paintings command a high price and are not sold door-to-door, and thus could not be bothered to browse their selections.  The thing we are sold on we are no longer sceptical of.  When I was given a shot of penicillin as a kid when I had strep throat, I did not explain medically or scientifically what was happening.  But all scepticism I had before the shot evaporated when within minutes my fever broke and I had a ravenous appetite after days of being sick.  I have come to find that God is greater than any medicine because He is our Maker who miraculously helps us today.  His word is ever true, He remains faithful and He rules over all things.

The man whose heart is established in God according to knowledge shall not be moved.  I can testify of biblical examples of those who hearts were strengthened in God in the midst of trials, and I have been an eyewitness of this as well.  I have seen people rejoice when they naturally would have collapsed in despair and others look to the LORD with hope when all hope seemed lost.  Faith in God has healed hearts, miraculously transformed lives and perspectives.  As one who has been born again the only reasonable explanation is it was God in the person of Jesus Christ who revealed Himself to us who lives, keeps us and is continuing to change us for good.  The supporting evidence of God's miraculous works and help is beyond reckoning, and I am convinced the chief reason people pay God no mind is because they would rather not.

If those who know God is their Creator and help actually live like this was so, it would certainly bring glory to God through the interest which would be fostered.  When everyone else is wringing their hands with anxiety, we can raise our empty hands in praise to God who helps, keeps and saves us.  Who do we have in heaven but Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)