02 March 2022

Faith Beyond Borders

During a worship service recently I was struck by the awesomeness of God, how He can do things for us before we ever thought to ask.  Countless wonders He has fulfilled by His grace and only rarely are we made aware of them.  It is not that God isn't listening, speaking and doing great things, but our faith and minds are awfully small.  A ship only need be about 12 miles apart from another ship at sea before they drop below the horizon and out of sight, and this illustrates well our inability to see all God has purposed and is accomplishing right now.

We sang words to Hillsong's Oceans:  "You call me out upon the waters, the great unknown where feet may fail. And there I find You in the mystery. In oceans deep my faith will stand."  This song was written in 2013, several years after my family and I immigrated to Australia located across the Pacific Ocean.  While the song hearkens to Peter being called by Jesus to come to Him on the stormy Sea of Galilee, the adventure of faith God has led me on was to go to a great country and people unknown to us.  In the process of being established in Australia God has already been faithful to do more than I could ever ask or think.  As I considered the lyrics it was wonderful to realise how God had already shown Himself faithful to answer this prayer in the past, and He also will remain faithful for all my future.

The refrain goes, "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders."  To physically walk upon the water as Jesus did is a very little thing compared to the value of trust and reliance upon Christ right where we stand.  No matter what country we reside, regardless which ocean we traverse, faith in Jesus will always bring us to His desired end.  God has brought me to the opposite side of the globe from where I was born, and during the night of worship it was clear God has even more in store:  not distance measured in nautical miles but spiritual growth through faith in Him.  If faith has borders it is confined by my unbelief, not by God's inability.  At the same time God chose in His wisdom to divide the borders of Israel so each tribe and family would have their own inheritance by faith to enter into and possess.

Sometimes a great conquest of faith is not to go far away from what is familiar but to remain content where you are when the world beckons.  It was faith in Jesus that enabled Paul to learn contentment whether he enjoyed abundance or suffered lack, whether he sailed safely or was shipwrecked.  It is faith in Jesus that bid apostles to go, and it was faith  in Him that prompted some to stay as led by the Holy Spirit.  David sang in Psalm 139:17-18, "How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! 18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; when I awake, I am still with You."  Grains of sand can be numbered, but the thoughts God has are beyond counting.  Our faith in such a great, good God ought to go beyond borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)